Bengal orders closure of 10 sponge iron unitsJune 18th, 2012 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 18 (IANS) The West Bengal government has ordered 10 sponge iron units in Burdwan district to be closed down for flouting pollution norms, an official said Monday.
“In view of the 16-point pollution guidelines given by an expert committee, 10 sponge iron units in the Asansol-Durgapur industrial belt have been ordered to close down for flouting those norms,” Environment Minister Sudarshan Ghosh Dastidar said in the state assembly during question hour.
Dastidar said the expert committee guidelines were submitted to the government earlier this month, according to which, industrial units must have in place a mechanism to prevent ground water contamination, rainwater harvesting and electrostatic precipitator among others.
An electrostatic precipitator is a particulate collection device that removes particles from a flowing gas (such as air) using the force of an induced electrostatic charge.
The government was in the process of identifying other such units which are flouting the pollution norms, added the minister.
- Chhattisgarh shuts three polluting industries - Aug 21, 2010
- Raipur: home to polluting units, respiratory patients - Sep 15, 2009
- P&H; Joy to invest $25mn in Bengal mining equipment unit - Jan 11, 2012
- Chhattisgarh serves notice to 15 industries for pollution - Oct 28, 2009
- Bengal to support eco-friendly industries: Minister - Jul 08, 2011
- 200 trapped ECL miners in Bengal rescued - Jul 31, 2012
- 10 held for gang-raping woman in Bengal - Sep 11, 2012
- Chhattisgarh serves notice to polluting steel mills - Nov 02, 2009
- Living under a dusty black cloud near Raipur (Letter from Raipur) - Sep 23, 2009
- Lack of infrastructure, manpower affecting police: Mamata - Dec 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh issues notice to 45 polluting industries - Jul 25, 2009
- Power to Chhattisgarh's polluting industries cut - Jul 05, 2009
- Over 100 Chhattisgarh sponge iron units face closure - Jan 15, 2012
- Essar sets high target of methane extraction in Bengal - Aug 08, 2012
- Bengal to campaign against firecrackers - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: asansol, closure, committee guidelines, electrostatic charge, electrostatic precipitator, environment minister, expert committee, ground water contamination, norms, particles, pollution, rainwater harvesting, sponge iron, state assembly, west bengal government