‘Bengal could attract Rs.10 bn IT investment in 18 months’April 30th, 2012 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 30 (IANS) West Bengal could attract around Rs.10 billion investment in the Information Technology (IT) sector in the next one-and-half years, Computer Association of Eastern India said Monday.
“Definitely, there will be substantial investments coming to West Bengal. I think the level of investment could be around Rs.800 crore to Rs.1,000 crore in the next 18 months in the IT sector,” association president B Hari said here.
The association is a grouping of IT entrepreneurs of Eastern India and works to create and sustain an environment conducive to the growth of IT industry.
Hari said the growth of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) business in eastern India this year was expected to grow at a rate of 15 percent.
“In the 2011, the growth of ICT business was 12 to 15 percent in eastern India on an overall basis,” he said.
Stating that the overall Indian IT spend for 2012 was expected to reach about Rs.1,000 billion, he said about eight to nine percent of that would come from the eastern region.
Meanwhile, Computer Association of Eastern India will organise “COMPASS”, one of the largest IT fairs in the country, from May 4 in Kolkata. About 90 participants are expected to take part in the 15th edition of the four-day-long fair.
“We expect a lot of partners to come. General public will be able to see the latest technology. Almost all the foreign brands are coming here,” Hari said.
He expects that the total Business-to-Business (B to B) and Business-to-Consumer (B to C) trade in this year’s fair would be about Rs.8 billion.
“Last year, Rs.500 crore (Rs.5 billion) B-to-B trade took place,” he added.
- Reforms coming too slowly in Bengal: Investors (One year of Mamata Banerjee) - May 14, 2012
- Buoyant Indian IT industry rebounds but remains cautious (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 30, 2010
- LG plans to invest Rs 1,000 crore in India - Aug 16, 2011
- Bosch India net up 31 percent in 2011 - Feb 28, 2012
- TCS arm targets $1 bn revenue by 2015 - Aug 19, 2011
- Direct selling set to grow in rural areas - Mar 18, 2011
- IT spending of Indian enterprises in 2012 likely Rs.1,910 bn: Gartner - May 22, 2012
- UBI to seek Rs.1,000 crore from government - Aug 16, 2012
- Infotech's revenues up by 30 percent - Apr 18, 2012
- TIL to invest Rs.700 crore in Bengal factory - Aug 09, 2011
- Realty business hots up in Bengal - Jun 03, 2012
- Indian machine tools industry upbeat on demand growth - Jan 03, 2012
- Public cloud computing to touch Rs.2,434 crore by 2014 - Jun 07, 2011
- LG India ventures into business to business segment - Jun 07, 2011
- Now test LG's products at its demonstration zones - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: association president, business to consumer, compass, computer association, crore, eastern india, half years, information and communication technology, information technology, latest technology, participants, rs 1, rs 8, rs 800, sector association, substantial investments, west bengal, years computer