Belgium to help India modernise railway stationsAugust 2nd, 2012 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 2 (IANS) Indian Railways Thursday signed an agreement with Belgium to modernise and make some of the country’s railway stations world class, said an official statement.
“Indian and Belgian railways will benefit with mutual consultation and exchange of information services on development and modernisation of railway stations,” Railway Minister Mukul Roy said after signing a Memorandum of Understanding with Belgian Deputy Prime Minister Didier Reynders, who is also Belgian Minister for Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and European Affairs.
According to Roy, ties between the countries would strengthen with sharing of design and current practices in railway infrastructure and deputation of experts in areas of mutual interest.
The countries have decided to form steering and working groups of experts to determine and define scope and modalities of activities and projects, he said.
Roy said Belgian government-owned companies such as Euro Station and Euro Immostar have vast experience in developing stations.
“These companies have extensive expertise in transforming historical railway stations into the modern international terminals and the experience gained by them can be emulated in India after suitable adaptation to Indian conditions,” he said.
Reynders said Indian Railways was a focus sector of his country’s economic diplomacy.
According to him, several Belgium or Belgium-based companies were already present in India and their activities ranged from fastening and coating of rails to delivery of parts for train construction and software for safety and network management.
Indian Railway Board chairman Vinay Mittal and Belgium’s Ambassador to India Pier Vaesen were present on the occasion.
- India, Belgium to seal railway cooperation pact - Aug 01, 2012
- Belgium backs India for NSG, hopeful of India-EU trade pact (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Belgium hopeful of India-EU trade pact by 2013 summit - Aug 08, 2012
- Belgium to renovate 14 railway stations in India - Mar 21, 2012
- 22 children die in Switzerland accident (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Belgium calls for early signing of India-EU free trade pact - Aug 03, 2012
- Will seek lower import duties on dredgers, says Vasan - Nov 18, 2011
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Belgium declares day of mourning after bus crash - Mar 15, 2012
- 28 Belgians die in Swiss bus accident (Evening Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- India, Belgium trade to go beyond diamonds - Dec 12, 2010
- Europe, India to deepen economic cooperation: Anand Sharma - Jun 25, 2012
- Europe agrees to 1 trillion euro fund for new bailout plan - Oct 27, 2011
- Belgian PM resigns - Apr 23, 2010
- Belgium seeks strong ties with India in IT, gems and jewellery - Dec 04, 2010
Tags: belgian government, belgian minister, belgian railways, deputation, deputy prime minister, didier reynders, economic diplomacy, european affairs, indian railway, indian railways, international terminals, memorandum of understanding, mukul, mutual consultation, railway board, railway infrastructure, railway minister, railway stations, train construction, vinay