Beijing to curb cars in city through number platesDecember 23rd, 2010 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 23 (IANS) In an effort to ease traffic congestion, Chinese authorities Thursday announced the number plates to be issued annually for new cars in the capital should not exceed 240,000 from next year.Car buyers will have to obtain number plates by a lottery draw before they drive their cars on road, according to Beijing Municipal Commission of Transport (BMCT), Xinhua reported.
The new policy will come into effect Jan 1, 2011, the BMCT said.
In 2010, more than 700,000 new cars were sold in Beijing, bringing the city’s total number of automobiles to more than 4.7 million, statistics from the BMCT showed.
According to DPA, other measures announced Thursday included a rush-hour ban on vehicles registered outside Beijing and city-centre parking restrictions.
The estimated number of vehicles licensed in Beijing has reached about five million.
Car exhaust fumes and other pollutants were a major concern for athletes in the run-up to the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008.
Chinese authorities only allowed cars to drive every other day on Beijing’s roads during the Olympics and have since imposed permanent driving restrictions that they claim have reduced Beijing’s traffic by about 20 percent on weekdays.
Every car is now barred from the roads one day a week, a system that is enforced through licence plate numbers, but little relief is seen on the streets of the city of 17 million people.
- Beijing has over 5 mn car owners - Feb 17, 2012
- Beijing puts limits on new vehicle registrations to stem traffic jam epidemic - Dec 24, 2010
- Beijing to continue car use curbs - Jan 19, 2012
- Car licence lottery held in traffic choked Beijing - Jan 26, 2011
- In China, growing discontent over car restrictions - Aug 15, 2012
- Beijing hikes parking fee to ease traffic congestion - Apr 01, 2011
- 400,000 polluting cars to go off Beijing roads - Apr 20, 2011
- Guangzhou authorities to remove 40 percent of vehicles of roads during Asiad - Oct 25, 2010
- Wedding cars run into trouble - May 07, 2012
- Beijing car sales to plummet in 2011 - Dec 24, 2011
- 40,000 Chinese apply for car licence plates on New Year - Jan 01, 2011
- Buy parking space before car in Shanghai - May 06, 2012
- States should slap congestion tax on cars, says Jaipal - Jun 09, 2010
- Licence plates costlier than cars in China - Feb 20, 2012
- A traffic jam in China that is 100 km long! - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,