Beijing has over 5 mn car ownersFebruary 17th, 2012 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 16 (IANS) The number of registered car owners in Beijing crossed five million in February, the traffic department said Thursday.
A total of 5.017 million cars were registered in Beijing as of Feb 15. The average monthly increase in new car owners in 2010 was 66,000, Xinhua reported.
The government has been trying to limit the number of cars in Beijing to stop pollution and traffic congestion.
Since January 2011, it has launched a new rule aimed at reducing the number of vehicles. As per the rule, new vehicle owners can plate obtain a license only through a monthly lottery draw run by the government.
Last year’s quota was set at 240,000, about a third of the number of cars registered in Beijing in 2010. The quota system will restrict the number of car owners to six million in 2016.
- Beijing puts limits on new vehicle registrations to stem traffic jam epidemic - Dec 24, 2010
- Beijing to curb cars in city through number plates - Dec 23, 2010
- Car licence lottery held in traffic choked Beijing - Jan 26, 2011
- Beijing hikes parking fee to ease traffic congestion - Apr 01, 2011
- 40,000 Chinese apply for car licence plates on New Year - Jan 01, 2011
- 400,000 polluting cars to go off Beijing roads - Apr 20, 2011
- In China, growing discontent over car restrictions - Aug 15, 2012
- Beijing car sales to plummet in 2011 - Dec 24, 2011
- Licence plates costlier than cars in China - Feb 20, 2012
- Buy parking space before car in Shanghai - May 06, 2012
- Wedding cars run into trouble - May 07, 2012
- Chinese vehicles emitted 52 mn tonnes of pollutants - Dec 20, 2011
- Government's response sought on national traffic management policy - Feb 06, 2012
- Dhaka - a city with 400,000 rickshaws! - Sep 06, 2011
- Mizoram to have high security number plates to check car thefts - Jan 24, 2012