BCCI issues showcause notice to Harbhajan for slapping SreesanthApril 26th, 2008 - 1:48 pm ICT by admin
Mohali, Apr 26 (ANI): The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) today issued a showcause notice to Mumbai Indians captain Harbhajan Singh for allegedly slapping Kings XI paceman S Sreesanth late last night after the end of the Indian Premier League (IPL) match in Mohali.
IPL commissioner Lalit Modi has ordered a probe into the matter.
Indian Premier League Chairman Lalit Modi told reporters in Chandigarh, It is a serious matter and is not good for the cash-rich Twenty20 tournament.
The IPL committee would take any decision only after receiving an official report on the matter as picture is still not clear about what exactly happened between the two players last night, he added.
The tournament is being played under the ICC guidelines and there are tournament guidelines also for the players, he stressed.
Talking to the reporters a day after the incident, Harbhajan said that he had sorted out the issue with Sreesanth.
He said, A lot of things happen in a family and this was a part of it. We have sorted it out all, and everything is fine now.
He was also quoted as saying that he didnt slap Sreesanth but pushed him.
Meanwhile, Sreesanth also said he had resolved the issue with Harbhajan and said, Let bygones be bygones. I wont really call it a slap, more like the handshake, which was in the wrong place. Im OK with it. Maybe, next time I meet him in Mumbai, Ill give it back on the field,” said Sreesanth.
He also ruled out making an official complaint against Bhajji, saying he is like an elder brother.
After the IPL match between Punjabs Kings XI and Mumbai Indians last evening, Harbhajan had allegedly hit Sreesanth. The fast bowler, Sreesanth who otherwise is known for his on-the-field aggression, was seen crying bitterly on the ground after the incident.
Off-spinner Harbhajan, however, had a long chat with Sreesanth in the dressing room of the Punjab team and apologised for his behaviour.
Reacting to the incident, Kings XI Punjab captain Yuvraj Singh said, “This is really an ugly incident. You do not want to see such things off the field especially after such a win. I am pretty upset at what has happened. This is totally unacceptable.”
This was Punjab Kings XIs first victory in three IPL matches, beating Mumbai Indians convincingly by 66 runs. (ANI)
- Kings XI Punjab elect to bat against Mumbai Indians - Apr 25, 2012
- Sreesanth may pay dearly for 'clapping' at umpires - Apr 07, 2010
- Harbhajan slaps Sreesanth in dressing room, leaves him crying on ground - Apr 26, 2008
- Mumbai Indians elect to bat against Kings XI Punjab - Apr 22, 2012
- Chennai Super Kings a tough competitor: Gilchrist - Apr 12, 2011
- Kings XI Punjab crush Mumbai Indians by 76 runs (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Royal Challengers elect to field against Punjab - Apr 20, 2012
- Mumbai Indians steal a thriller against Kings XI (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Chennai Police to probe IPL scam, summon Lalit Modi - Oct 15, 2010
- Arrested cricketer won't play for RCB, says Mallya - May 18, 2012
- Double trouble for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Second Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Double blow for IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2012
- Harbhajan apologises to Sreesanth - Apr 26, 2008
- Kings XI Punjab a balanced squad: Gilchrist - Apr 02, 2012
- Double whammy hits IPL; player arrested, SRK banned from Wankhede (Roundup) - May 18, 2012
Tags: aggression, apologised, bhajji, chandigarh, cricket, dressing room, elder brother, handshake, harbhajan singh, india bcci, indians, ipl, lalit, match, modi, mohali, mumbai, paceman, premier league, s sreesanth