‘Batman’, ‘Abba’ assault box-office recordsJuly 21st, 2008 - 9:37 am ICT by IANS
New York, July 21 (DPA) “Batman” sequel “The Dark Knight” and pop musical adaptation “Mama Mia” opened over the weekend to set very different box-office records, according to preliminary studio estimates. Starring Christian Bale for a second time as billionaire Bruce Wayne and his superhero alter ego, “The Dark Knight” lit up cinema cash registers with $155.3 million in three-day weekend ticket sales, shattering the $151.1 million Friday-Sunday record of “Spider-Man 3″ set in 2007.
“The Dark Knight” was fueled by excellent critical reactions particularly for a comic-book adaptation, building on expectations from 2005’s “Batman Begins”, which successfully relaunched the Batman movie franchise, and curiosity for the last performance of co-star Heath Ledger. The Australian native, who plays the villainous Joker opposite Bale, died in January of a drug overdose.
Meanwhile, “Mama Mia”, a screen adaptation of the Broadway show featuring songs from Swedish 1970s pop icons Abba, set a record for a movie musical with a three-day gross of $27.6 million. It stars Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan in the story of a young woman’s wedding and her mother’s ex-lovers.
- Freida to romance Christian Bale (With Image) - Jun 29, 2012
- Kylie Minogue's songs to be turned into musical - May 05, 2010
- Christian Bale doesn't want to be Batman any more - Nov 28, 2011
- 'Dark Knight Rises' Batwing crashes during filming - Aug 15, 2011
- Charles Rovan: 'The Dark Knight Rises' And 'Man Of Steel' To Be Kept At Bay From Each Other - Jan 06, 2011
- Mamma Mia! bags Best Musical title at 2008 National Movie Awards - Sep 10, 2008
- Bale, Ledgers Dark Knight still reigning over US box office - Jul 28, 2008
- Bale, Ledger''s ''The Dark Knight'' reigns at weekend box office - Jul 21, 2008
- Now, a musical on Spice Girls - Jan 22, 2010
- 'The Hunger Games' gets third biggest opening ever - Mar 27, 2012
- Why won't Bale miss Batman costume? - Jun 20, 2012
- Hathaway incredible in 'Dark Knight Rises': Nolan - Jul 11, 2012
- Hathaway to star in 'The Dark Knight Rises' - Jan 20, 2011
- 14 shot dead at US theatre screening Batman film (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- 'Dark Knight Rises' Make Batman Fans Expectant - Jan 20, 2011
Tags: abba, batman begins, batman sequel, billionaire, cash registers, christian bale, co star, comic book adaptation, critical reactions, curiosity, dark knight, heath ledger, last performance, mama mia, meryl streep, musical adaptation, pierce brosnan, screen adaptation, spider man 3, weekend ticket sales