Barbie dolls wearing Indian sari, burqa go under the hammerNovember 19th, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Florence, Nov 19 (IANS/AKI) Barbie dolls clad in Indian sari, wearing the Muslim burqa and the Japanese kimono are among a collection due to go under the hammer in the central Italian city of Florence Friday.
London-based Sotheby’s are organising the auction, the proceeds of which will go to charity.
The collection of 500 Barbie dolls will from Thursday be on show at Florence’s Il Serraglio gallery.
The dolls’ outfits have been designed by Italian designer Eliana Lorena, who has worked for fashion labels such as Mandarina Duck, Poltrona Frau and Fila.
The show is being sponsored by Barbie’s manufacturer Mattel’s Italian subsidiary and marks the 50th anniversary of Barbie, the world’s most popular doll.
The veiled ‘Fullah’ Islamic Barbie doll hit toy stores in 2006.
- Barbie in burqa to raise funds for Save the Children charity - Nov 23, 2009
- Glamorous Barbie becomes burka-clad for charity - Dec 15, 2009
- After Katrina, Hrithik may walk the ramp for kids - Jan 13, 2012
- Turin official asks school board to ban burqa-wearing mothers - Nov 25, 2010
- New Barbie dolls for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
- Barbie with camera "could be used by paedophiles", warns FBI - Dec 04, 2010
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- Barbie doll creator dead - Jul 24, 2011
- Veil row in Italy after woman fined by cops - May 05, 2010
- "Barbie Video Girl" - A Trap Set By Pedophiles? - Dec 24, 2010
- Four tonnes of banned fireworks seized in Italy - Dec 30, 2011
- Barbie dolls inspired by Kardashian sisters - Jan 06, 2012
- World's most expensive Barbie auctioned for $302K! - Oct 21, 2010
- 'Gucci' Fiat 500 unveiled at Milan Fashion Week - Feb 25, 2011
- New Barbie collection inspired by Aussie beauties - May 05, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,