Banks employees to shut down Wednesday, ThursdaySeptember 23rd, 2008 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 23 (IANS) About one million bank employees will go on for a two-day nationwide shutdown Wednesday to protest against the government’s privatisation policy.Conciliatory talks between the United Forum of Bank Union (UFBU) leaders and S.K. Mukhopadhyay, chief labour commissioner, in New Delhi Tuesday failed to break the stalemate over the issue.
“We wanted a commitment from the Indian Bank’s Association (IBA) that there will not be any move on reform measures in the banking sector and also a time frame with which worker related issues - pension option, wage negotiations and others - are sorted out. The IBA declined to give any commitment on any of the issues,” C.H. Venkatachalam, convenor UFBU, told IANS over phone.
The bank unions are against the government merging the banks and allowing foreign direct investment in the sector.
Venkatachalam said employees of foreign banks, old generation private banks and public sector banks will be striking work for two days.
- Tamil Nadu bank employees begin two-day strike - Sep 24, 2008
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bank employees on strike for second day - Sep 25, 2008
- 46 Indian banks' staff get pay hike (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- All India bank strike postponed - Jun 30, 2011
- New wage settlement for bank employees - Apr 27, 2010
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- India's banking industry hit by nationwide staff strike - Aug 05, 2011
- Two-day nationwide bank strike from today - Sep 24, 2008
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- 2 day bank strike from today - Aug 06, 2009
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011