Banks asked to inform customers of fund transfersJune 17th, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 17 (IANS) India’s central bank has asked banks to inform customers about fund transfers through email or short messaging service (SMS) and revert uncredited funds within 90 minutes.
“We understand that quite a good number of banks send SMSs to the account holders as and when the account is debited/credited,” Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said in a notification Tuesday.
“However, in order to make RTGS more customer friendly, all RTGS participants may explore the possibility of sending SMS/email information to customers when an RTGS debit/credit takes place,” it added.
RTGS or “real time gross settlement” system is a funds transfer mechanism where transfer of money takes place from one bank to another on a “real time” and “gross” basis.
“Funds that cannot be credited to the account of the beneficiary for some reason or other, have to be sent back to the sender’s account within one hour and thirty minutes,” the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said.
The notification comes in the wake of complaints that banks did not inform customers about fund transfers.
“Some of the trade bodies and business councils have brought to our notice their difficulties on account of banks not notifying the RTGS debits or credits as and when the same takes place in the accounts of the customers,” the apex bank noted.
- Thinksoft bags Rs.5-crore RBI order for testing solution - Dec 23, 2011
- Compensate for delay to re-credit failed ATM transaction: RBI - Jul 18, 2009
- New system of cheque clearing causing trouble: RTI applicant - Jul 01, 2010
- Rs.16 crore credit card racket busted in Bangalore - Oct 28, 2011
- Lottery scam: Five foreigners sent to judicial custody - Jul 17, 2012
- Now, book and pay for Air India tickets from your mobile - Mar 20, 2012
- TRAI issues unsolicited commercial communications regulations - Dec 01, 2010
- Federal Bank to open 100 branches in a single day - Mar 06, 2012
- RBI suggests action against fake lotteries, prize money - Aug 18, 2010
- RBI will adjust monetary policy to spur growth: Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Now, pay income tax through Union Bank ATMs - Mar 31, 2011
- Bill to help banks recover dues to be introduced in winter session - Oct 13, 2011
- RBI not to interfere in bank service charges - Apr 26, 2012
- Bank of America cancels debit card fees - Nov 02, 2011
- RBI cautions people against fraudulent e-mails - Jun 30, 2010
Tags: apex, apex bank, bank of india, banks, beneficiary, business councils, debits, fund transfers, gross basis, gross settlement, rbi, real time, reserve bank of india, rtgs, s central, service sms, settlement system, short messaging service, trade bodies, transfer mechanism