Banking services in Bengal paralysed for second dayAugust 23rd, 2012 - 1:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 23 (IANS) Banking services in West Bengal remained paralysed for the second consecutive day Thursday, the last day of the two-day nationwide stir called by employees of most public and some private banks to protest against some provisions of the proposed banking sector reforms bill.
The United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU), an umbrella organisation of nine major bank employees’ associations, called for the strike from Wednesday after the reconciliation talks with the chief labour commission failed Tuesday.
“The 10,000 bank employees, who had joined the strike yesterday (Wednesday), continued the stir today (Thursday). Almost all the bank branches, except regional rural banks (RRBs) and cooperative banks, remained closed for the second day,” Gautam Bose, general secretary, UFBU (West Bengal state unit), told IANS.
The ATMs of most of the public as well as private sector banks in the state remained closed Thursday.
The strikers are opposing outsourcing of non-core services to outside agencies and other “anti-labour” policies which they say would jeopardise jobs in the banking sector and undermine collective bargaining strength of the employees.
The Banking Laws Amendment Bill, 2011, which is to come up for approval in parliament, contains provisions such as raising shareholders’ voting rights from 10 percent to 26 percent in private banks and supersession of bank boards.
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking activities in Bengal likely to be crippled for two days - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services hit for second day in India (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Banking activities paralysed as strike begins - Aug 22, 2012
- Two-day bank strike from Wednesday - Aug 20, 2012
- Bank strike hits customer services in Karnataka - Aug 23, 2012
- Strike cripples banking operations in Karnataka - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
- Strike evokes partial response; banking, transport hit (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Partial response to strike; banking, transport hit (Intro Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Strike evokes partial response; banking, transport hit (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Staff strike hits banks operations in Karnataka - Aug 05, 2011
- Bank unions to strike Friday - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: amendment bill, bank branches, bank unions, banking laws, banking sector, cooperative banks, core services, labour policies, paralysed, private banks, private sector banks, reconciliation talks, rural banks, sector reforms, shareholders voting rights, supersession, ufbu, umbrella organisation, united forum, west bengal state