Banking services hit in northeast IndiaAugust 22nd, 2012 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala/Guwahati, Aug 22 (IANS) Banking services were badly hit in the northeastern region Wednesday as most of the public sector banks were closed responding to a two-day nationwide strike call to protest the government’s proposed banking sector reforms.
“More than 10,000 bank employees belonging to over 2,000 branches of nationalised banks in the seven northeastern states took part in the strike opposing the proposed amendments of the banking laws,” said United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU) spokesman Sushobhan Datta Majumder, quoting shutdown reports from across the region.
“The proposed reforms in the banking sector are expected to be undertaken aiming at mergers, acquisitions and outsourcing of routine activities of Indian banks and to allow foreign banks and investors in these activities and banking managements.”
The UFBU has observing the strike after its talks with the Indian Banks Association failed recently in New Delhi.
“Wednesday’s bank strike is not for the interests of the employees alone, the shutdown is to protest anti-national policies of the central government and to protect Indian banks from foreign controls,” Majumder said on the sideline of the sit-in demonstration of the banks employees here.
The banking employees have also been protesting outsourcing of non-core activities by the authorities.
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Bank unions to strike Friday - Aug 03, 2011
- Banking services in Bengal paralysed for second day - Aug 23, 2012
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Banking activities in Bengal likely to be crippled for two days - Aug 22, 2012
- All India bank strike postponed - Jun 30, 2011
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- Banking activities paralysed as strike begins - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services hit for second day in India (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Bank strike hits customer services in Karnataka - Aug 23, 2012
- Strike cripples banking operations in Karnataka - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: agartala, bank unions, banking laws, banking sector, core activities, foreign banks, guwahati, indian banks association, majumder, mergers acquisitions, national policies, nationalised banks, northeast india, northeastern region, northeastern states, proposed amendments, public sector banks, routine activities, sector reforms, united forum