Bankers ask RBI to ease liquidityJuly 9th, 2012 - 6:17 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 9 (IANS) Top bankers Monday urged the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to ease liquidity in the banking system to help revive industrial growth.
Executives of leading lenders including State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank and Punjab National Bank met RBI Deputy Governor Subir Gokarn and requested for easing the liquidity.
The central bank hold discussion with the bank representatives ahead of the first-quarter review of the monetary policy which is scheduled July 31.
“Right now liquidity is alright. But, should the liquidity get tighter, the RBI should come in there,” Chairman of the Indian Bank Association Alok Misra told reporters after the meeting.
Misra, who is also the chairman and managing director of the government-run Bank of India, said the central bank should ease liquidity in the system to give a boost to industry.
“We should be pro-industry. If we can, we should save the industry,” he said.
Chairman of HDFC Bank Aditya Puri said the RBI was unlikely to cut rates because of the persistently high rate of inflation.
“I don’t think with this inflation rate you can expect a rate cut,” Puri said.
He said the Indian economy was passing through a slowdown and the RBI monetary policy can’t solve all the problems.
“There have to be ways for improving that slowdown. It can be improved partly by government action and partly if there were any difficulties on the financial side,” Puri said.
“The issue is that you need more money supply but, you need government action. The monetary policy cannot be the basic panacea for all ills,” he added.
- Police rates hiked to tame inflation: RBI - Aug 12, 2011
- Sensex rises 64 points on rate cut hopes - Jun 12, 2012
- India's industrial output dips 3.5 percent in March (Roundup) - May 11, 2012
- Experts' views on RBI monetary policy review - Jul 31, 2012
- Inflation, fiscal deficit leave little room for rate cut - Jul 29, 2012
- Sensex rallies 175 points on rate cut hopes - Jun 07, 2012
- With inflation easing, India's central bank halts rate hikes (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- RBI for more open market operations - Jan 30, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation outlook worsens (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Subbarao sees scope to cut rates in 2012 - Jul 31, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Rate hike fears in India's monetary policy review Tuesday - Nov 01, 2010
- Sensex hits one-month high on strong global cues (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sensex bounces back on rate cut hopes (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- RBI adopted a dovish policy: HDFC Bank official - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: aditya puri, alok, axis bank, bank of india, banking system, deputy governor, government action, hdfc bank, icici bank, indian economy, inflation rate, liquidity, misra, money supply, panacea, punjab national bank, rate of inflation, reserve bank of india, state bank, state bank of india