Bank launches world’s first $150 note in Hong KongSeptember 9th, 2009 - 12:06 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Sep 9 (DPA) A bank Wednesday marked its 150th anniversary in Hong Kong by launching what it claimed to be the world’s first 150-dollar bank notes.
Standard Chartered Plc, one of three note-issuing banks in the wealthy city of seven million, has printed 1 million of the 150-Hong-Kong-dollar notes, worth $19.35 each.
It invited people to apply for the new notes from Wednesday, offering them as collectors items with prices of 280 Hong Kong dollars each and up.
Some notes bearing what are considered lucky serial numbers, such as 888888, are to be auctioned in October with a minimum bid of 3,000 Hong Kong dollars per note.
Money from the sale of the notes is to go to local charities in what Standard Chartered has described as a “creative tribute” to the people of Hong Kong.
Standard Chartered began operations in Hong Kong in 1859, six years after it was founded, and is the oldest of the three note-issuing banks in the city. The other two are HSBC Holdings Plc and the Bank of China Ltd.
- U.S. government seeks names of U.S. residents with HSBC India bank accounts to avoid taxes - Apr 08, 2011
- Hong Kong seizes $98 million cocaine - Jul 07, 2012
- Hong Kong bank offers 0.001 percent interest rate on deposits - May 21, 2009
- Unions protest HSBC's plan to axe 3,000 jobs in Hong Kong - Sep 08, 2011
- Global firms vie to grab Bangalore biz whizkids - Mar 24, 2012
- Trustee charges HSBC with funnelling disgraced Ponzi King Madoff's massive fraud - Dec 06, 2010
- Indian American doctor charged with hiding India accounts - Sep 29, 2011
- World Bank issues first yaun bonds - Jan 05, 2011
- Indian American indicted for concealing bank accounts in India - Jan 27, 2011
- Senior Hong Kong banker convicted of indecent assault - Apr 07, 2009
- US wants HSBC to reveal American tax dodgers in India - Apr 08, 2011
- Man jailed for life for killing 3 prostitutes in Hong Kong - Jul 29, 2009
- Standard Chartered Bank to raise resources in Indian market - May 18, 2010
- Sharjah bank to issue Islamic bonds - May 12, 2011
- HSBC to cut another 25,000 jobs despite rise in profits - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: 1 million, 150th anniversary, bank of china, banks, charities, chartered plc, china ltd, creative tribute, dollar bank, dollar notes, hong kong dollar, hong kong dollars, hsbc holdings, hsbc holdings plc, money, serial numbers, six years