Bank employees to go on strike Aug 22-23August 21st, 2012 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) A section of employees of the government-run banks plan to go on two-day country wide strike beginning Wednesday to protest proposed amendments in banking regulation and outsourcing of jobs.
“We are pressing for several demands. The most important is the Banking Laws (Amendment) Bill,” Pradip Biswas, general secretary of Bank Employees Federation of India, told IANS.
Biswas alleged that the proposed amendment would lead to privatisation of banks and retrenchment of jobs.
Banking Laws (Amendment) Bill, which was tabled in parliament last year, seeks to raise voting rights ceiling in private banks. The proposed amendments also seek to exempt merger and acquisitions in banking sector from the purview of competition watchdog, the Competition Commission of India.
The United Forum of Bank Unions has called for the two-day strike Aug 22-23. Bank Employees Federation of India is a part of the forum.
Other unions that are part of the United Forum of Bank Unions include, National Confederation of Bank Employees, All India Bank Officers Association, India National Bank Employees Federation, Indian National Bank Officers Congress, National Organisation of Bank Workers, All India Bank Employees Association, and All India Bank Officers Confederation.
Biswas said the unions are also opposing the implementation of Khandelwal Committee recommendations on human resources issues. The committee recommends outsourcing of jobs and closure of many rural branches.
- Banking services hit for second day in India (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank strike hits customer services in Karnataka - Aug 23, 2012
- Banking activities paralysed as strike begins - Aug 22, 2012
- Two-day bank strike from Wednesday - Aug 20, 2012
- Strike cripples banking operations in Karnataka - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Banking activities in Bengal likely to be crippled for two days - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- India's banking industry hit by nationwide staff strike - Aug 05, 2011
- Banking services in Bengal paralysed for second day - Aug 23, 2012
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: all india bank employees association, all india bank officers association, all india bank officers confederation, amendment bill, bank unions, banking laws, banking regulation, biswas, competition commission, competition watchdog, employees federation, human resources issues, india bank employees association, merger and acquisitions, national confederation of bank employees, national organisation, pradip, private banks, proposed amendments, united forum