Bank employees go on nationwide strikeSeptember 24th, 2008 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata/New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) Over 800,000 employees of 50,000 bank branches across India went on a two-day strike beginning Wednesday to press for their six-point charter of demands, including stopping of privatisation and merger and acquisition of public sector banks. “Banking operations have come to a standstill. Once the strike is over, we will sit together and chalk out our future course of action,” said Rajen Nagar, national president of All India Bank Employees Association (AIBEA), which is participating in the strike called by the umbrella body United Form of Bank Unions (UFBU).
Nagar told IANS that apart from all the public sector banks, banks in the private sector, cooperative banks and regional rural banks have also joined the strike.
The striking employees are also demanding rejection of the reports of the Raghuram Rajan committee on financial sector reforms and the Anwarul Hoda committee.
The agitators are also opposing amendment of Section 12 (2) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, which will give equal voting rights to shareholders.
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Over 800,000 bank employees strike work across India (Lead) - Sep 24, 2008
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- Opposing privatisation, 800,000 bank employees in India strike work (Round-up) - Sep 24, 2008
- Bank unions to strike Friday - Aug 03, 2011
- Banking sector crippled for second consecutive day - Sep 25, 2008
- Strike cripples banking operations in Karnataka - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services in Bengal paralysed for second day - Aug 23, 2012
- Bank employees across India go on strike - Dec 16, 2009
- Banking activities in Bengal likely to be crippled for two days - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking activities paralysed as strike begins - Aug 22, 2012
- Government to hold 51 percent stake in public banks - Sep 14, 2008
Tags: aibea, all india bank employees association, anwarul hoda, bank unions, cooperative banks, financial sector reforms, india bank employees association, merger and acquisition, public sector banks, rural banks