Bangladesh’s exports to India to double by JuneFebruary 20th, 2012 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 20 (IANS) Encouraged by duty-free entry of its textile products into India, the value of total exports from Bangladesh to India is expected to double to $1 billion by the end of June 2012, the Indo-Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce and Industry said Monday.
“Exports from Bangladesh to India were about $500 million in the last financial year (Bangladesh’s financial year ends June 30). This fiscal, because (Indian Prime Minister) Manmohan Singh has given duty-free access to Bangladesh, our exports are shooting up. Garment export to India is doubling,” chamber president Abdul Matlub Ahmad told reporters on the sidelines of a BCIM Business Forum programme here.
“We are expecting that exports from Bangladesh to India at the end of this fiscal will be $1 billion. Garment exports to India during this period will be $0.5 billion,” Ahmad said.
In the last fiscal, textile exports from Bangladesh to India were nominal.
A total of 46 Bangladeshi textile items have been given duty-free access to Indian markets since September 2011 after the Indian prime minister’s two-day visit to Dhaka.
Ahmad, who is also Nitol-Niloy Group chairman, is currently setting up two 100-acre industrial zones with SEZ status in Bangladesh - one for garment in Kishoregunj near Dhaka and another multi-product in Chattak (Sylhet).
Saying that the industrial zones were mainly targeting garment manufacturers from India, Ahmad said: “We are receiving positive feedback.”
He said Indian apparel manufacturers could now join Bangladeshi companies and use the country as its new, cheaper production base.
“The joint-venture companies in Bangladesh can export duty-free products to India and many parts of the world from their plants in Bangladesh,” Ahmad added.
- Tata mulling coal-based ventures in Bangladesh: Industry body - Dec 17, 2011
- Exports to India can be doubled: Bangladesh - Sep 07, 2011
- Tata plans to set up power plant in Bangladesh - May 16, 2010
- India's Arvind to set up denim plant in Bangladesh - Sep 28, 2010
- Remove trade barriers: Bangladeshi chamber urges India - Sep 06, 2011
- Soon, Indian garments to be made in Bangladesh - Sep 02, 2010
- Trade, industry groups urge Dhaka to invest in India - Feb 01, 2010
- India agrees to duty-free Pakistani exports to EU: Report - Sep 10, 2011
- Government measures will help boost exports: Industry - Jun 05, 2012
- Low costs luring Indian textile makers to Bangladesh - Oct 16, 2011
- China allows duty-free access to Bangladesh goods - Jul 01, 2010
- No more FDI in Bangladesh garment sector - May 16, 2011
- Indo-Bangla chamber seeks land for Indian SEZ - May 08, 2011
- A Bangladeshi invite for Mamata: Will she go? - Feb 20, 2012
- Dhaka apparel sector seeks relief - May 29, 2011
Tags: apparel manufacturers, chamber of commerce and industry, chamber president, export to india, garment export, garment exports, garment manufacturers, group chairman, indian apparel, indian markets, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, joint venture companies, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sylhet, textile exports, textile products