Bangladesh’s capital market like a casino: ExpertFebruary 13th, 2011 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Feb 13 (IANS) Bangladesh’s volatile capital market, with the stock exchange registering fluctuations, was Sunday described as a “casino” by a prominent economist. Rehman Sobhan, director of think tank Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD), made this observation on a day the Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE) lost 474 points in a recurring phenomenon, provoking investors to protest on the streets.
Prices of shares took a sharp dip Sunday, the first day of trading in the week, recording a 7.27 percent decrease in the general index of exchange.
Angry protesters Sunday took out processions on the street outside the DSE building in the capital’s business hub. This is the sixth such demonstration since December.
Stopping vehicular movement on the street, they chanted slogans asking the government “to take proper steps to save the market from collapsing”, The Daily Star reported on its website.
The government’s intervention through the Securities Exchange Corporation and the Bangladesh Bank, the country’s central bank, has not prevented the fluctuations. The government has announced that the stock exchange will be de-mutualised.
Former prime minister and opposition leader Khaleda Zia has accused the government of economic mismanagement.
Her political rival, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has alleged that the opposition-supported “vested interests” operating in the market have ‘tricked’ the economy.
“What we have in Bangladesh is a ‘casino’, not a capital market, where people are running in totally a crazy way,” said Sobhan, who heads the country’s most prominent economic think tank.
- Bangladesh stock markets recover a day after record fall - Jan 11, 2011
- Bangladesh stock market closed after collapse - Jan 10, 2011
- Bangladesh's bourses close again after crash - Jan 20, 2011
- Dhaka stock market investors protest - May 26, 2011
- Deals with India on right track, say Bangladesh experts - Mar 05, 2010
- Bangladesh to probe stock market crash - Jan 25, 2011
- Delhi Stock Exchange to start online trading - Sep 04, 2009
- Systemic failure blamed for Bangladesh share market crisis - Apr 07, 2011
- Terrorists still operate from Bangladesh: PM's envoy (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- 'Occupy Dalal Street' protest Friday - Nov 01, 2011
- 'Occupy Dalal Street Movement' protestors detained - Nov 04, 2011
- 'Qualified foreign investors can directly invest in equity markets' - Jan 01, 2012
- SBI eyes more branches in Bangladesh - Nov 14, 2011
- Marico's Dhaka subsidiary registers profit - Sep 17, 2009
- Opposition strike hits normal life in Dhaka - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: angry protesters, bangladesh bank, business hub, crazy way, daily star, dhaka stock exchange, dhaka stock exchange dse, economic mismanagement, economist, exchange corporation, fluctuations, former prime minister, khaleda zia, minister sheikh hasina, opposition leader, policy dialogue, proper steps, s central, securities exchange, slogans