Bangladesh weavers strike work, demand Indian yarnMay 13th, 2010 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 13 (IANS) Over 1.3 million handloom and powerloom units across Bangladesh have launched an indefinite strike demanding import of yarn from India through the Benapole land port to meet the current shortage and to arrest rising prices.
The import via Benapole land port located on the western border with India was stopped after local yarn manufacturers opposed it, arguing that it would bring down domestic prices and eventually ruin Bangladesh’s spinning industry.
The strike began Wednesday.
Most units closed down even before the strike call for want of yarn supplies, the New Age newspaper said, quoting owners of several units and trade body chiefs.
The units in main textile hubs at Narsingdhi, Narayanganj and Sirajganj enforced the strike, called by the Bangladesh Handloom and Powerloom Owners’ Association Saturday last.
The textile sector is a major employer in Bangladesh; the highest export earnings come from the readymade garments and knitwear.
- Dhaka spinners oppose Indian yarn import - Apr 12, 2010
- Bangladesh garment workers continue stir against new wages - Aug 02, 2010
- Two-day shutdown called in garment, hosiery industry - Mar 12, 2011
- Bangladesh to review wages after industrial violence - Dec 13, 2010
- Suspend cotton exports, cap yarn exports: Karunanidi - Dec 02, 2010
- Bangladesh registers 40 percent hike in apparel exports - Feb 20, 2011
- Dhaka books 4,000 agitating garment workers - Aug 03, 2010
- Roll back excise duty on branded garments: Buddhadeb - Mar 08, 2011
- EU concerned over garment sector violence in Bangladesh - Jul 06, 2010
- Bangladesh garment workers world's most poorly paid: Survey - Jun 20, 2010
- One dead as Bangladesh garment workers clash with police - Dec 12, 2010
- Dhaka looks globally for yarn after Indian export ban - Apr 25, 2010
- Owners, workers both unhappy over Dhaka's wage fixing - Aug 25, 2010
- Bangladeshi traders' strike hits trade with India - Oct 12, 2010
- Steps to boost Indian apparel exports on anvil - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: bangladesh, chiefs, export earnings, handloom, hubs, indefinite strike, India, indian yarn, knitwear, new age, powerloom, readymade garments, textile sector, weavers, western border, yarn manufacturers