Bangladesh has a population of 164.4 million: UNOctober 21st, 2010 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Oct 21 (IANS) Bangladesh’s population is now 164.4 million, up from 156 million a decade back, the UN Population Fund (UNFPA) has said.
The boom should be a matter of concern as it threatens food security, warned Food and Disaster Management Minister Muhammad Abdur Razzaque who unveiled the report “State of World Population 2010″.
The UNFPA report also predicted that the population of the country would be 222.5 million by 2050.
Ganesh Chandra Sarkar, director of the family planning directorate, however, claimed that the population is around 144 million.
In the fourth Population and Housing Census 2001, the population of Bangladesh was stated to be at 124.3 million, The Daily Star quoted Sarkar as saying Thursday.
Bangladesh’s official website puts the population at 156 million as of 2001. A decennial census is to be conducted next March.
According to the UNFPA report 2010, 28 percent people of the country live in urban areas where the population growth is 3.2 per thousand. The fertility rate in the country is 2.25 percent with 72 of every 1,000 females aged between 15 and 19 years old giving birth to their first child.
- 6.7 percent ethnic Indians in Malaysia - Dec 23, 2011
- India gives houses to 1,600 families in Bangladesh - Jul 10, 2011
- Bangladesh wants to import rice from India - Jul 13, 2011
- Bangladesh census to be digitised - Aug 27, 2010
- At 1.4 bn, India's population to surpass China's by 2025: US Census - Dec 16, 2009
- India's population rises to 1.20 billion (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Philippine population reaches 92.34 million - Apr 10, 2012
- Census 2011: India's population now estimated at 1,210.2 million - Mar 31, 2011
- Philippines greets world's 7 billionth baby - Oct 31, 2011
- US population grows at slowest rate since 1940s - Dec 22, 2011
- India's population rises to 1.20 billion, growth rate declines (Second Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- India should focus on its young, say experts - Oct 31, 2011
- World population will be 7 billion Oct 31 - Oct 27, 2011
- Sri Lanka to conduct population census - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: 19 years, census 2001, chandra, daily star, decennial census, dhaka, disaster management, family planning, fertility rate, food security, ganesh, giving birth, muhammad, population fund, population growth, population of bangladesh, sarkar, unfpa report, urban areas, world population