Bangladesh fears militant attacks on garment factoriesMarch 24th, 2009 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, March 24 (DPA) Bangladesh Tuesday alerted its intelligence agencies and local governments against possible militant attacks on garment industries contributing major export earnings to its economy, a junior minister said.
“We have alerted the intelligence agencies so that the militants cannot unleash attacks on the ready-made garment industries,” Tanjim Ahmed Sohel Taj, the state minister for home affairs, said at a press briefing after a meeting with the leaders of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association.
The state minister warned that some militants are bent on sabotage but assured the association that the government would protect the industry, which accounts for 76 percent of the country’s exports and is concentrated in the central districts of Dhaka, Gazipur and Narayanganj and the southern port city of Chittagong.
The apparel industry leaders submitted a memorandum to the minister asking for measures to save the sector from any adversity, especially during the global recession and the country’s sliding law and order situation.
- Bangladesh workers resume production as Hasina gets tough - Dec 14, 2010
- Now Bangladesh eyes China's cloth market - Sep 03, 2012
- No more FDI in Bangladesh garment sector - May 16, 2011
- Bangladesh to review wages after industrial violence - Dec 13, 2010
- Stop FDI, says Bangladesh's garments industry - May 06, 2011
- Dhaka apparel sector seeks relief - May 29, 2011
- Bangladesh garment workers continue stir against new wages - Aug 02, 2010
- Bangladesh's exports to India to double by June - Feb 20, 2012
- New wages for Dhaka's garment workers - Jul 30, 2010
- Act against firm owner who didn't pay wages, says Hasina - Nov 01, 2009
- Bangladesh weavers strike work, demand Indian yarn - May 13, 2010
- Bangladesh garment workers world's most poorly paid: Survey - Jun 20, 2010
- Soon, Indian garments to be made in Bangladesh - Sep 02, 2010
- Dhaka garment units resume work after security assurance - Jun 23, 2010
- Bangladesh registers 40 percent hike in apparel exports - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: apparel industry, bangladesh garment, export earnings, exporters association, garment factories, garment industries, garment manufacturers, gazipur, global recession, home affairs, industry leaders, intelligence agencies, junior minister, law and order, local governments, militant attacks, militants, sabotage, sohel, state minister