Banerjee kicks off two railway projects in West BengalDecember 27th, 2009 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Dankuni (West Bengal), Dec 26 (IANS) Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday laid the foundation stones of two factories for manufacturing electric and diesel engine components in this West Bengal town.
The factories will be set up near Dankuni railway station on about 70 acres, of which the electric engine component factory, supplying the Chittaranjan Locomotive Works in Burdwan, would require 40 acres.
The remaining 30 acres would be utilised for manufacturing components and sub-assembling locomotives for feeding the Diesel Locomotive Works at Varanasi.
Speaking on the occasion, Banerjee said 100,000 people will get direct or indirect employment in the factories and the ancillaries that will come up in the area.
The estimated cost of the project was Rs.110 crore of which the Railway Board has already sanctioned Rs.20.65 crore.
Banerjee said no land has to be acquired for the project as the railways itself had land in the area.
“Ancillary industries will also come up. Dankuni will usher in industrial resurgence in the state,” she said.
Dankuni will also be a terminal point of the Dedicated Eastern Freight Corridor stretching upto Ludhiana in Punjab, she said.
“The final locational survey over 526 km from Somnagar to Dankuni is progressing,” she said.
The 1,279-km corridor will pass through Andal, Gomoh, Gaya, Mughalsarai, Saharanpur and Ambala.
Banerjee also announced that a railway training institute would be established here, with the successful ones absorbed in the organisation as apprentices.
- Trivedi proposes new projects for home state, constituency - Mar 14, 2012
- Mamata plans factory on 600 acres of Singur land - May 28, 2012
- Mamata blames Bengal administration for illegal mining - Oct 30, 2010
- Railways will bring industrial boom in the country: Mamata - Nov 16, 2010
- Highlights of Railway budget 2010-11 (Part-III) - Feb 24, 2010
- Railways to recruit around 3 lakh people: Mamata Banerjee - Feb 05, 2011
- Mamata to announce railway project - Oct 28, 2010
- Railways to focus on increasing coach manufacturing capacity - Feb 24, 2010
- Mamata now wants to have rail coach factory in Singur (Lead) - Nov 13, 2009
- Indian Railways to get its most powerful diesel locomotive - Sep 26, 2011
- Land acquisition: Mamata gets dose of her own medicine - Jan 23, 2011
- Trains to soon connect Cooch Behar, Jaipur: Mamata - Jan 29, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh initiates work on freight corridor - Jun 02, 2012
- Manesar violence blow to Maruti, may hit Japanese investment - Jul 20, 2012
- Railways-owned companies earning profit: Banerjee - Jul 03, 2009
Tags: ancillaries, ancillary industries, component factory, crore, diesel engine components, diesel locomotive works, engine component, foundation stones, indirect employment, industrial resurgence, ludhiana, mamata banerjee, railway board, railway minister, railway projects, railway station, saharanpur, terminal point, varanasi, west bengal