Banerjee admits debt-ridden farmers contemplate suicideJune 1st, 2012 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Sagar Island (West Bengal), June 1 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday conceded that there were “debt-ridden peasants who contemplated committing suicides”.
“There are many farmers who take loans from money lenders at high interest and when they are unable to repay the money, they contemplate suicide. Do not give up life like that, life is most valuable,” said Banerjee, after giving Kisan Credit Cards to farmers here in the South 24-Parganas district, about 150 km from Kolkata.
Banerjee asked the district administration to ensure that the credit cards are distributed to the farmers at the earliest.
“With the cards, the farmers can avail loans up to Rs.50,000 or more at an interest rate of just 4 percent. The farmers can use the cards to take credit on a regular basis,” added Banerjee.
While Banerjee has always denied reports of farmer suicides in the state, the opposition Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) has repeatedly claimed that such deaths have occurred and blamed these on the policies of the Trinamool Congress government.
Governor M.K. Narayanan had earlier admitted instances of such suicides and urged both central and state governments to find ways to check them.
- Mamata rejects probe into farmer suicides - Jan 25, 2012
- Mamata, governor differ on farm suicides (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Bengal to make Sagar Island a tourist attraction - Jun 01, 2012
- UP farmers seek Big B's help to write off debts - May 16, 2012
- Cabinet releases Rs.10,091 crore for crop loan subsidies - Sep 06, 2012
- Thwart farmers' suicides: Bengal governor - Jan 23, 2012
- Bengal farmer suicides: Left calls rural strike Feb 28 - Jan 29, 2012
- Trinamool talks tough, threatens to oppose policies in parliament - Mar 09, 2012
- Mamata dismisses farmer suicide reports as 'malicious campaign' - Jan 31, 2012
- Bengal farmers to be paid by cheque to avoid fleecing: Mamata - Dec 02, 2011
- Governor, chief minister spar - nothing new for Bengal (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 29, 2012
- Karat slams farmer suicides in Mamata rule - Jan 18, 2012
- Rising ranks of women farmers need better deal: M S Swaminathan (Interview) - May 20, 2012
- CPI-M counters Mamata claim on farmer suicides - Jan 19, 2012
- Mamata blames Left Front for 'brutal' land laws - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress government, CPI, credit cards, district administration, farmers, high interest, instances, interest rate, mamata banerjee, money lenders, narayanan, peasants, rs 50, state governments, suicides, trinamool congress, west bengal