Badal terms wheat MSP hike patheticOctober 25th, 2011 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Oct 25 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Tuesday termed as “pathetic” the enhanced minimum support price (MSP) of Rs.1,285 per quintal for wheat announced by the central government Tuesday.
Calling it a “shocker of a Diwali gift to the beleaguered peasantry”, Badal said that the decision would not only deal a crushing blow to the farm sector but also seriously endanger the country’s food security.
Badal Monday said that the central government should raise the MSP of wheat to a minimum of Rs.1,800 per quintal.
Seeking a review of the central government?s decision on the MSP, marking a hike of Rs 165 over the previous price, Badal said that the price should be based on ?the prevailing market ground realities”.
?The decision shows how insensitive policy makers at the centre are to the agony of the farmers who are already reeling under the impact of back-breaking hikes in the prices of farm inputs,? Badal said.
- Pay Rs.1,800 per quintal of wheat: Badal - Oct 24, 2011
- Centre's bonus on wheat unjustified: Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- Badal slams meagre hike in wheat support price - Oct 21, 2010
- Badal rejects new minimum price for wheat - Oct 08, 2011
- MSP hiked to boost food production - Oct 25, 2011
- Badal rejects wheat MSP enhancement as 'too meagre' - Nov 05, 2009
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Badal wants support price of wheat to be hiked - Apr 07, 2011
- Badal protests meagre hike in paddy support price - Jun 10, 2010
- Haryana seeks Rs.1,800 MSP for paddy - Feb 17, 2012
- Purchase price for pulses hiked - Aug 03, 2012
- Akali Dal slams insufficient paddy support price hike - Jun 10, 2011
- Badal asks PM to relax paddy procurement norms - Oct 24, 2010
- Hooda seeks Rs.200 bonus on paddy - Oct 06, 2011
- Cabinet hikes rice purchase price to Rs.1,280 per quintal - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: agony, central government, chief minister, crushing blow, diwali, diwali gift, farm inputs, farm sector, farmers, food security, ground realities, minimum support price, peasantry, quintal, rs 1, shocker, wheat