Badal seeks package for agricultural statesJuly 29th, 2012 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 29 (IANS) In view of the near drought-like situation in several parts of the country, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has urged the union government to give a special economic package to all agricultural states in the country, a state government spokesman said here Sunday.
Badal, in a statement, said that the package be given to all agricultural states and to Punjab in particular.
Punjab contributes nearly 70 percent of wheat and rice to the national kitty. The state has only 1.54 percent of the country’s geographical area.
Badal pointed out that due to deficit rainfall, an emergency-like situation has been created in the food producing states of the country.
The states were not able to cope up with the demand of power for supplying it to the farmers in the ongoing paddy season, he said.
Punjab has sought a special allocation of 1,000 MW of power from the centre for the paddy season.
The state government could not take steps against such calamities on their own as the central government had centralised all powers and taxes. The states were facing a financial crisis, Badal said.
The states had been reduced to the status of beggars who were at the mercy of the union government for seeking funds to ensure development in their respective states, he added.
- Punjab seeks Rs.5,112 crore package for drought - Aug 10, 2012
- Elusive monsoon: Punjab seeks Rs.800 crore from centre - Jul 22, 2012
- Centre conspiring to ruin agriculture in Punjab: Badal - Jul 27, 2012
- Badal rejects new minimum price for wheat - Oct 08, 2011
- Punjab seeks Rs.2,380 crore package for monsoon failure - Aug 02, 2012
- Punjab gets Borlaug institute of agriculture - Oct 02, 2011
- Punjab wants central government to allow wheat export - May 19, 2012
- Foodgrain pile up scare in Punjab - Apr 04, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012
- Punjab-Israel to tie-up for dairy farming - Jun 05, 2012
- Punjab farmers stop trains, Badal warns of unrest - Oct 29, 2010
- Badal asks PM to relax paddy procurement norms - Oct 24, 2010
- Centre's bonus on wheat unjustified: Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana stare at foodgrain wastage again, seek help - Jul 22, 2011
Tags: agricultural states, beggars, calamities, central government, chief minister, drought, economic package, farmers, financial crisis, geographical area, government spokesman, kitty, mw, rainfall, state government, union government, wheat