Bad weather halts Amarnath YatraAugust 11th, 2008 - 2:20 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, Aug 11 (ANI): The Amarnath Yatra was halted today due to bad weather in Baltal and Pahalgam areas in south Kashmir.
Began on June 17, the pilgrimage is to end on August 16.
Security forces have been put on a high alert along the entire route of the pilgrimage to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security set-up consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
Every year a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-km route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Hostile weather halts Amarnath yatra; army, IAF on alert - Jul 08, 2011
- 600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 25, 2011
- Hindu groups to go ahead with early Amarnath yatra - Jun 11, 2011
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, bad weather, crpf, devotees, domination, feet above sea level, jammu, kashmir, pahalgam, pilgrimage, pilgrims, security forces, south kashmir, trek