Baby girl born midair on Finnair flightNovember 21st, 2008 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Helsinki, Nov 21 (IANS) A baby girl was born aboard a Finnair flight from Bangkok to Helsinki, above Kazakhstan at an altitude of 11,000 metres, officials said. The baby’s Swedish mother, who was returning from Thailand, and the child are in good health. The birth took place Thursday with the assistance of a doctor from the MedLink medical service - who is available round the clock for Finnair flights - by satellite phone link between two doctors and two nurses travelling as passengers.
Upon arrival at the Helsinki-Vantaa airport, both the mother and child were taken to the hospital immediately.
Christer Haglund, senior vice president, corporate communications of Finnair said: “This is a unique occasion for Finnair, since no birth has ever taken place on one of our flights before. The family will get return Finnair flights to Bangkok as a gift.”
The 10 hours 50 minutes flight had 227 passengers on board.
According to recommendations of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), pregnant passengers beyond their 28th week of pregnancy must provide a doctor’s certificate confirming that the pregnancy has proceeded normally.
Pregnant passengers may travel up to the end of their 36th week, and on Finnair’s short domestic and Scandinavian flights they may travel up to the end of the 38th week provided that the pregnancy has proceeded normally.
- Finnair's business class passengers grew last month - Jan 09, 2010
- At this spa, watch planes go by - Sep 11, 2010
- Finnair proposes to add Chennai, Bangalore to its radar - Dec 11, 2009
- Finnair introduces special facilities at 13 airports - Nov 05, 2011
- Finnair looking at Indian cities beyond New Delhi - Sep 09, 2010
- Finland showcases new airport terminal, complete with spa and saunas (With Images) - Dec 10, 2009
- Finnish sauna for jet lag! This one's right inside an airport - Sep 18, 2011
- Finnair not averse to Kingfisher's direct flights to Helsinki - Sep 14, 2011
- Finnair launches initiative for children of Bihar - Nov 03, 2009
- Baby born on Philippine Airlines flight has no nationality - Sep 23, 2011
- Higher Indian traffic helps Finnair improve load factor - Apr 07, 2010
- With spa and saunas, Finland set to showcase new airport terminal - Dec 09, 2009
- Finnair to test anti-jet lag headsets - Mar 10, 2012
- Finnair starts service to western China city of Chongqing - May 17, 2012
- Asian operations lift Finnair's load factor - Jun 13, 2010
Tags: 28th week of pregnancy, air transport association, finnair, finnair flights, helsinki vantaa airport, international air transport, international air transport association, satellite phone, two doctors, week of pregnancy