Avoid protectionism, Indian envoy tells US (Lead)April 28th, 2012 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 28 (IANS) India’s Ambassador Nirupama Rao has asked American students to be alert to the “stifling effects” of protectionism as it is retrogressive and hinders economic growth and development in the age of globalisation.
“Borders between nations are becoming increasingly porous, and in time, they will be increasingly irrelevant, as people are allowed to move freely to transact trade and commerce, and to travel without hindrance,” Rao said delivering the commencement address at University of Florida, Gainesville, Friday.
“Protectionism in such a situation becomes a hindrance to economic growth and development because it seeks to cap the flow of people, of goods and services, of ideas and technologies. It builds walls and is thus retrogressive,” Rao said.
“We must be alert to its stifling effects,” she said, noting: “Globalisation integrates the world today in many ways. But it has also unleashed its discontents.”
Asking the students to use their education to “make the world a better place”, she hoped they would become the “builders of an even better and high yielding partnership between our two democracies, India and the United States”.
“Just as we see many Indian students coming to study in universities in this country, I hope I see many more young Americans drawn to India and the study of India in a serious and comprehensive way,” Rao said.
More than 1,100 Indian students are currently enrolled at the University of Florida.
“Through its linkages and partnership with several Indian academic institutions, the university is performing yeoman service in the promotion of greater understanding between the Indian and American peoples,” Rao said.
Recently, a University of Florida-led research team has been selected to participate in a five-year, $125 million project on the development of clean energy technologies involving research institutions, universities and industry from India and the US, she noted.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Indian envoy cautions US against protectionism - Apr 28, 2012
- India seeks framework to boost worker mobility with US - Mar 08, 2012
- India-US ties valuable for global consensus: Envoy - Nov 11, 2011
- Virginia Commonwealth University launches India Chair - Apr 05, 2012
- India offers value proposition to US business: Envoy - Nov 15, 2011
- India, US must together fight protectionism: Obama - Nov 08, 2010
- India, US on same side on freedom, development: envoy - Jan 24, 2012
- India, US announce eight educational partnerships - Jun 12, 2012
- India voices concern over curbs on US business visas - May 31, 2012
- No reversal of tide of economic reform in India: Nirupama Rao - Jul 27, 2012
- Hispanic community important partner for India-US ties: Ambassador - Mar 22, 2012
- 'India presents fantastic opportunities for US firms' - Jan 26, 2011
- Indian higher education leadership programme with Yale University - Oct 14, 2011
- India, US closer than ever: Indian envoy - Jul 03, 2012
- Gandhi's message very relevant today: Indian envoy - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,