Aviophobia? Divine help soon at Delhi airportMay 26th, 2009 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) For those suffering from aviophobia, the fear of flying, divine help will be at hand soon with a grand temple with south Indian architecture coming up just outside the airport here.
The choice of deity, too, for this unique initiative by an airport developer is apt - the temple is dedicated to the Hindu monkey god Hanuman, also called Pavanaputra, the son of the wind god. It is coming up along the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway.
“We started constructing this temple in August last year. It will be open for public in two-three months,” said Arun Arora, spokesperson for Delhi’s airport development firm, which has been promoted by GMR, a Hyderabad-based infrastructure company.
“But the temple is not being built inside the airport. It is a part of the commercial area in the airport’s vicinity. It will be accessible to anyone,” Arora told IANS.
Airport officials said the airport complex has several more places of worship, including a mazar and a temple, that have been in existence for decades.
Many airports, especially in the Gulf and some Southeast Asian nations, have prayer halls facing Mecca in Saudi Arabia to facilitate Muslims. But an airport developer building a temple is, perhaps, a unique initiative.
- Operator charges toll at two Gurgoan plazas - Sep 05, 2012
- Marauding monkeys to face gun in Himachal - it's official - Dec 01, 2010
- Car hijacked, driver murdered on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway - Jun 11, 2012
- Weeklong Kullu Dussehra festivities end - Oct 12, 2011
- Silence please! The gods are meditating in Himachal villlage - Jan 28, 2012
- Hyderabad international airport bags award - Feb 29, 2012
- Over 200 deities to join Himachal's Mahashivratri! - Feb 20, 2012
- A temple with history, legends and treasures - Jul 10, 2011
- Week-long Kullu Dussehra festivity begins - Oct 06, 2011
- Toll rates hiked on Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway - Apr 01, 2010
- Rajkot devotees offer woollens to deities - Dec 15, 2010
- Villagers perform last rites of favourite monkey - Oct 30, 2009
- Relief for Delhi fliers as court stays airport fee - Jun 02, 2011
- Six school girls injured in Gurgaon - May 30, 2012
- Janmashtami celebrations: Prayers, fasts, fervour grips Delhi - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: airport officials, building a temple, deity, delhi airport, grand temple, gurgaon, hindu, infrastructure company, mazar, mecca, monkey god, New Delhi, places of worship, prayer halls, saudi arabia, south indian architecture, southeast asian nations, spokesperson, vicinity, wind god