Auto production hits record level in MexicoOctober 18th, 2011 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Oct 18 (IANS/EFE) Mexico’s total automotive output hit a record level in the January-September period, when 1.9 million vehicles were produced, authorities said Monday.
The automotive industry has been “one of the most dynamic (sectors) in the national economy, both because of its high production levels and its rate of exports” in 2011, the economy secretariat said.
Total production in the January-September 2011 period was up 14.7 percent, compared to the same period last year, with output reaching 1.905 million units, a “maximum historical figure for the first nine months of a year”, the secretariat said.
Exports totaled 1.58 million units during the first nine months of this year, a figure that was up 14.8 percent from the same period in 2010.
“In the ninth month of this year alone, vehicle production reached 225,287 units, marking annual growth of 14.1 percent,” the secretariat said, citing Mexican Automotive Industry Association, or AMIA, figures.
Domestic auto sales, meanwhile, “continued on a positive trend”, rising 12.2 percent in September, the secretariat said.
A total of 631,336 new vehicles have been sold in Mexico this year, representing an increase of 11.6 percent compared to the same period last year.
The automotive industry is the most important manufacturing sector in Mexico, which is home to the world’s leading automakers and serves as an export platform.
General Motors is the No. 1 automaker in Mexico, followed by Volkswagen, Ford, Chrysler and Toyota.
- Audi to build $1.3 bn plant in Mexico - Sep 07, 2012
- Mexico's auto production falls nearly 38 percent - Oct 14, 2009
- Brazil sets auto export quotas for Mexico - Apr 05, 2012
- Mexican auto sector willing to accept quotas - Mar 15, 2012
- Brazil, Mexico settle dispute over auto exports - Mar 17, 2012
- Mexico receives $13.4 bn in foreign investment - Nov 25, 2011
- FDI falls in Mexico - May 24, 2012
- Brazilian auto production falls - Jul 06, 2012
- Mexico's industrial production rises - Dec 13, 2011
- Mexico's economy grows 4.5 percent in third quarter - Nov 23, 2011
- Brazil announces plan to boost exports - Feb 18, 2012
- Nissan expects production boost from $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jul 11, 2012
- Mexico's tourism activity grows - Aug 15, 2012
- Hyundai to invest $130 mn in new plant in Mexico - Aug 30, 2012
- Foreign direct investment in Mexico goes down - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: amia, auto production, auto sales, automaker, automakers, automotive industry, domestic auto, dynamic sectors, economy secretariat, efe, export platform, first nine months, general motors, manufacturing sector, mexico city, mexico mexico, million vehicles, national economy, new vehicles, secretariat