Austrian unemployment increasesSeptember 4th, 2012 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, Sep 4 (IANS) The Austrian unemployment rate rose to 6.2 percent in August despite improvement in sectors such as industry, trade and tourism, the APA reported.
The total number of unemployed in August was 223,661, an increase of 13,414 people year-on-year, reported Xinhua.
Most effected were the long-term unemployed, their numbers increasing by 20 percent, while the number of unemployed people with a disability increased 16.7 percent, and for foreigners 13.2 percent.
Social Minister Rudolf Hundstorfer said despite the overall increase, the unemployment rate had slowed in August, and warned against overstating the job vacancy decline in Austria compared to its European Union neighbours.
“Economies are shrinking in neighbouring Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Czech Republic and many other EU states,” he said.
“Growth has slowed for our main trading partner Germany and mass unemployment in the EU has grown year on year to 2.1 million,” he added.
- Unemployment rises in Italy - Nov 01, 2011
- EU's retail trade rate decreases by .2 percent - Nov 05, 2010
- EU unemployment rate reaches 14-year high - Apr 02, 2012
- China warns of grim foreign trade situation - Oct 19, 2011
- EU's jobless rate jumps to 10.1 percent, consumer prices rises to 1.9 percent - Oct 29, 2010
- More people lose job in Sweden - Aug 18, 2012
- Austria needs immigration to fill job gaps: Minister - Jul 11, 2012
- Hindus critical of Hungary for failure to protect its Roma populace - Apr 22, 2011
- India's exports rose 33.2 percent in Apr-Nov - Dec 09, 2011
- Unemployment rises in Spain - Apr 04, 2012
- US unemployment rate drops in April - May 05, 2012
- US Fed hints at new steps to boost recovery - Apr 26, 2012
- EU forces Britain to take in 12,000 Indian workers - Mar 02, 2012
- Unemployment in France goes up - Mar 27, 2012
- China's exports rise to $173 bn in August - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,