Australian central bank predicts continued resources boomAugust 21st, 2012 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Aug 21 (IANS) The forecast of continuing resource investment and a period of low inflation were behind the decision of the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) to leave the cash rate on hold at 3.5 percent in August, it said Tuesday.
The RBA said the resources boom would continue for the next few years, reported Xinhua.
“Resource investment was projected to continue to increase rapidly over the next year or so, broadly in line with earlier expectations,” the RBA said in the minutes of its August meeting.
The RBA also said resource investment was forecast to peak during 2013-14 and gradually decline over subsequent years, but the timing of the peak was uncertain.
The central bank said the inflation data for the June quarter were broadly in line with expectations.
“Inflation was forecast to increase a little as the effects of the earlier exchange rate appreciation continued to wane, and it would also be pushed higher by the introduction of the carbon price,” the RBA said.
The RBA predicts inflation will be around the middle of its two to three percent target range by late 2013.
- Inflation data key to rate cut: Australian central bank - Oct 18, 2011
- Australian consumer prices go up - Apr 02, 2012
- Australian Q4 consumer price index unchanged - Jan 25, 2012
- Australian economy recovering slowly - Jul 18, 2012
- ADB sees Indian economy growing at 7 percent - Apr 11, 2012
- US Fed hints at new steps to boost recovery - Apr 26, 2012
- CII moots 10-point agenda for reviving Indian economy - Jun 05, 2012
- US banks see moderate economic growth with risks - Jun 09, 2012
- Australia keeps cash rate on hold - Mar 06, 2012
- Australian Reserve Bank leaves cash rate unchanged - Feb 07, 2012
- China's GDP growth to hit 8.5 percent this year: ADB (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Australia's producer price index down - Apr 23, 2012
- Inflation remains sticky, growth will moderate: RBI - Oct 24, 2011
- Australian inflation marginally up in April - Apr 30, 2012
- New Zealand interest rate unchanged - Apr 26, 2012