Australian brothels miss out on stimulus packagesJune 2nd, 2009 - 9:28 am ICT by IANS
Sydney, June 2 (DPA) Brothels hit by the economic downturn are not getting the breaks that other hard-pressed businesses enjoy, a lobbyist for the Australian sex industry said Tuesday.
“It’s hard in any environment, but given the current economic climate it’s even more unreasonable that sex workers face discrimination,” Scarlet Alliance president Elena Jeffreys said on the occasion of International Whores Day.
“Discrimination comes from financial institutions,” Jeffreys told national broadcaster ABC.
“Sex workers who can demonstrate their income and applying for loans or insurance are discriminated against by lenders and insurance agencies who want to charge us more or just simply refuse our loans on the basis of our occupation.”
She said prostitutes can pay 10 times what other trades-people are charged to advertise in newspapers.
Jeffreys complained that people think the sex industry is recession-proof and doesn’t need the help that other sectors get when times are tough.
“If people have less money to spend generally then that’s going to impact the sex industry,” she said.
The Scarlet Alliance will mark the sex industry’s special day with marches and social gatherings around the country.
- Oz sex workers condemn 'whore-phobic' attitudes and bad laws - Jun 05, 2010
- Sydney sex workers protest against discrimination on International Whores Day - Jun 02, 2009
- Sydney's "Bible-Belt" declares "war" on prostitution - Jun 03, 2010
- Illegal brothels sprouting across Australia - Nov 15, 2010
- Siliguri sex workers demand equal status ahead of polls - Mar 24, 2011
- Fiji's massage parlours operating as brothels - Feb 28, 2011
- Illegal prostitution booming in Queensland - Jan 30, 2011
- French minister seeks end of prostitution in Europe - Jun 23, 2012
- Peruvian sex workers protest against foreigners in business - Aug 04, 2010
- Facebook removes 'hookers' page after sex workers' condemnation - Feb 12, 2010
- Prostitution racket busted in Spain - Feb 14, 2011
- Report says students being recruited in Victoria's Asian-dominated prostitution racket - Jan 21, 2010
- NZ becoming a hot bed for Asian sex workers - Jul 12, 2010
- British MP's wife found working as a sex worker - Sep 06, 2010
- Queensland sex industry largely illegitimate despite legal brothels - Aug 17, 2009
Tags: abc sex, australian brothels, australian sex, dpa, economic climate, economic downturn, elena jeffreys, face discrimination, financial institutions, insurance agencies, lobbyist, national broadcaster, prostitutes, recession proof, scarlet alliance, sex industry, sex workers, social gatherings, stimulus, whores