Australia keen on close ties with UP governmentJune 23rd, 2012 - 1:52 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) The Australian government Friday expressed its willingness to strengthen bilateral ties with Uttar Pradesh and to transfer technology in areas like agriculture and agricultural research, and energy, an official release said.
In a meeting with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav here, Australian High Commissioner Peter Varghese submitted a list of proposals.
Congratulating Akhilesh for the landslide win of his party in the state assembly elections, the Varghese also expressed his country’s wish to work with institutes like the Indian Institute of Technology-Kanpur to improve the quality of rivers in Uttar Pradesh.
He also expressed his country’s willingness to support the state in areas like food processing, food trade, coal, and science and technology.
The envoy also told the chief minister, who has himself studied in Australia, that Lucknow and Australia shared a common bond. He said that the Griffins, who designed the Australian capital Canberra, stayed in Lucknow for several years and designed many landmark buildings in Lucknow, including the library of the Lucknow University.
Varghese also informed the chief minister that in 2013 when Canberra completes its 100th year of existence, these points would also be specially highlighted during the celebrations so that the ties of Australia and Uttar Pradesh were further strengthened.
- UP cane farmers team to visit Australia, Fiji and Mauritus - Jun 28, 2012
- US ambassador Powell calls on Akhilesh Yadav - Aug 31, 2012
- Bill Gates-Akhilesh to sign MoU on health - May 30, 2012
- UP to ask NID to design packs for milk products - Mar 27, 2012
- Akhilesh comes of age in rough, tough UP politics - Mar 06, 2012
- Akhilesh against bringing chief minister's post under Lokayukta - Apr 26, 2012
- Japanese offer to develop Uttar Pradesh infrastructure - Jul 05, 2012
- Feasibility study for India-Australia free trade pact done - Aug 28, 2010
- UP to develop districts adjoining Nepal border - Jul 20, 2012
- Australia wants to partner Kerala in agro-based services - Jun 18, 2012
- Akhilesh stakes claim to form government - Mar 10, 2012
- UP to develop Buddhist, Sufi and Hindu religious circuits - Jul 21, 2012
- UP government releases vision document for development - May 17, 2012
- Akhilesh to attend meet on internal security - Apr 09, 2012
- Akhilesh seeks quick Nabard decisions to help development - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: agricultural research, assembly elections, australian government, australian high commissioner, bilateral ties, canberra, chief minister, close ties, commissioner peter, common bond, food processing, food trade, griffins, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology kanpur, landmark buildings, landslide, lucknow university, state assembly, varghese