August exports decline by 9.7 percentSeptember 13th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 13 (IANS) The government Thursday said India’s exports during August 2012 declined by 9.7 percent and stood at $22.3 billion from $24.7 billion in the corresponding month of last year.
“During August 2012, the imports were $38 billion as compared to $40 billion in August 2011 registering a decline of 5.08 percent,” the commerce ministry said in a statement.
According to the statement, the balance of trade, which is the difference between income earned through exports and the payments made for imports, stood at $15.7 billion in the month under review as against $15.3 billion in the corresponding period of last year.
The main export-earning sectors during the month under review were engineering at $4.6 billion, followed by petroleum products at $4.00 billion, gems and jewellery at $3.4 billion, drugs and pharmaceuticals $1.2 billion, ready made garments at $0.9 billion.
Top importing sectors during last month were crude petroleum at $12.8 billion, followed by gold and silver at $2.6 billion, machinery at $2.67 billion, electronic goods at $2.62 billion and coal $1.7 billion.
Cumulatively for the period of April-August, 2012 the country’s exports stood around $120 billion from $127.6 billion in April-August, 2011.
“The cumulative imports for April-August 2012 stood at $191.1 billion as compared to $203.8 billion in April-August 2011.”
The balance of trade for the period of April-August, 2012 declined to $71.1 billion from $76.2 billion in the corresponding period of last fiscal.
- India's July exports dip 14 percent - Aug 14, 2012
- India's exports growth falls to 3.87 percent in November - Jan 02, 2012
- India's exports slump 14.8 percent in July - Sep 03, 2012
- Exports up 44.2 percent in August; deficit widens to $14.1 bn - Sep 09, 2011
- India's exports rose 6.71 percent to $25 bn in December - Feb 01, 2012
- India's exports fall in May - Jul 02, 2012
- Exports dip by 5.45 percent; trade deficit narrows (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- India's exports drop by 5.45 percent in June - Aug 01, 2012
- India's exports rise 44 percent in August; deficit widens to $14 bn - Oct 03, 2011
- Indian exports rise 22.5 percent to $16.64 bn in August - Oct 01, 2010
- Indian exports rise 22.5 percent, deficit balloons to $16.64 bn(Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- India's core industry growth slumps to 3.5 percent in August - Sep 27, 2011
- 29.5 percent cumulative export growth in India between April-Dec 2010-11 (Part I) - Feb 25, 2011
- Core industries' growth rises by 6.8 percent - Mar 29, 2012
- India's exports rise 6.7 percent in December - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, balance of trade, coal, commerce ministry, crude petroleum, decline, drugs, electronic goods, gems, gold and silver, India, jewellery, New Delhi, petroleum products, pharmaceuticals, ready made garments, sectors