Auction for broadband wireless services to begin MondayMay 21st, 2010 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) The auction of airwaves for broadband wireless access (BWA) services, which was scheduled to start Saturday, will now begin Monday, an official from the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) said Friday.
“The government today (Friday) approved the results of 3G auction. The auction for BWA will begin Monday,” the official told IANS.
As many as 11 companies — Bharti Airtel, Reliance WiMax, Idea Cellular, Aircel, Augere Mauritius Limited, Infotel Broadband Services, Qualcomm, Spice Internet Service Provider, Tata Communications Internet Services, Tikona Digital Networks and Vodafone Essar — will participate in the BWA auction.
The government has set Rs.1,750 crore as the base price for a BWA slot.
Global investment bank Rothschild and telecom auction services provider dot.econ are advising the government on the auction.
The DoT says the aim of the auction is to award spectrum transparently and fairly to generate revenue for the public purse, ensuring effective competition and getting a market-determined price for the spectrum.
The auction to award spectrum for third generation (3G) telecom services concluded Wednesday, fetching Rs.67,718.95 crore ($15 billion) to the state exchequer.
- Auction of broadband airwaves starts Saturday - May 19, 2010
- Auction for BWA begins; Rs.15,000 crore expected - May 24, 2010
- Auction of 3G spectrum kicks off Friday - Apr 08, 2010
- Government asks 3G auction winners to pay by May 31 - May 21, 2010
- Bharti Airtel to launch 4G services in Kolkata - Apr 03, 2012
- Sibal to launch Bharti Airtel's 4G services Tuesday - Apr 09, 2012
- Qualcomm to get BWA spectrum shortly: DoT - Apr 19, 2012
- India's broadband airwaves auction to fetch $8.6 billion (Roundup) - Jun 11, 2010
- India reaps billions from BWA auction, biggies stay away (Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
- All 9 telecom companies qualify for 3G spectrum auction - Mar 30, 2010
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- BWA auction ends, government reaps $8.5 bn - Jun 11, 2010
- Pan-India BWA licence price up at Rs.2,353 crore (Lead) - May 24, 2010
- BWA auction fetches at $7.67 bn - Jun 08, 2010
- Nine telecom companies apply for 3G (lead) - Mar 19, 2010
Tags: aircel, auction services, base price, broadband wireless, communications internet services, crore, digital networks, global investment bank, infotel, internet service provider, New Delhi, public purse, qualcomm, rothschild, services provider, state exchequer, telecom services, third generation, vodafone essar, wireless access