ATM frauds on the rise in ChandigarhNovember 24th, 2010 - 2:07 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Nov 24 (IANS) Lakhs of rupees have been withdrawn fraudulently from Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) in Chandigarh and neighbouring towns in the past four months, and police said Wednesday the culprits will be nabbed soon.
Around 30 cases of withdrawing money using cloned ATM cards of nationalised banks have been reported since August from Chandigarh, and Mohali and Panchkula, the city’s suburbs in Punjab and Haryana.
“We are looking into all aspects and will nab the culprits soon. We are working with bank officials and surveillance around ATM machines has been enhanced,” senior superintendent of police Naunihal Singh told IANS Wednesday.
Residents, meanwhile, are growing increasingly worried.
“I had withdrawn Rs.5,000 on Nov 12 and there was a balance of Rs.64,000. Then, I received SMSes saying that money has been withdrawn from my account. I checked with the bank manager and he said money was withdrawn from different ATMs of the city,” said Ravinder Kumar, a sub-divisional engineer with the state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL).
A police officer explained the probable modus operandi of the thieves.
“The miscreants would have cloned the original ATM cards by placing a card-reader in the machine slot. They might have got the password by placing a micro-camera somewhere near the machine,” he said.
“We have appealed to people to change their PIN (Permanent Identification Number) frequently as a precautionary measure,” he said.
- Police clueless about ATM frauds in Chandigarh - Aug 24, 2010
- Over Rs.2 lakh withdrawn using cloned ATM cards - Aug 22, 2010
- Banks to be held responsible for fake notes in ATMs - Jan 27, 2012
- Bank ATM tampered, Rs.64 lakh stolen - Dec 05, 2010
- Man withdraws lakhs from girlfriend's account, caught - Feb 16, 2011
- ATM with Rs.10 lakh gutted in Ghaziabad - May 17, 2012
- MBA held for using cloned ATM cards - Jun 02, 2011
- ATM for visually challenged installed in Dehradun - Aug 05, 2010
- ATM bombings continue unabated in South Africa - Jun 06, 2012
- Over 20,300 cases of SIM cloning reported so far: Deora - Aug 22, 2012
- Rs.23 lakh looted from Punjab bank - Oct 03, 2009
- ATM trickster arrested - Feb 01, 2011
- Growing crime leaves Chandigarh jittery (Letter from Chandigarh) - Nov 28, 2010
- Two youth held for ATM theft - Mar 06, 2011
- ATM with Rs.30 lakh destroyed in fire - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: atm cards, atm machines, automated teller machines, bank officials, card reader, chandigarh, culprits, four months, frauds, lakhs, micro camera, miscreants, mohali, nationalised banks, neighbouring towns, panchkula, precautionary measure, punjab, rupees, sanchar nigam ltd