AT&T; drops bid for T-MobileDecember 20th, 2011 - 1:06 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Dec 20 (IANS/EFE) AT&T; Inc. abandoned Monday its $39 billion bid for T-Mobile USA, a deal that sparked opposition from the US government and consumer groups.
The Dallas-based giant said it decided to withdraw its offer for the US wireless unit of Germany’s Deutsche Telekom after a thorough review of the options.
“The actions by the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice to block this transaction do not change the realities of the US wireless industry,” AT&T; said in a statement.
“It is one of the most fiercely competitive industries in the world, with a mounting need for more spectrum that has not diminished and must be addressed immediately,” the company said.
AT&T; said its planned tie-up with T-Mobile USA offered an “interim solution” to the spectrum shortage and that the lack of such steps will hurt customers.
“AT&T; will continue to be aggressive in leading the mobile Internet revolution,” the firm’s chairman and CEO, Randall Stephenson, said.
The planned merger would have created the largest wireless operator in the US, with 30 percent more subscribers than chief rival Verizon.
The Justice Department filed suit in August to block the combination, asserting that it would reduce competition and raise rates for consumers.
Verizon Wireless is the No. 1 US wireless operator.
- US government sues to block AT&T;, T-Mobile merger - Sep 01, 2011
- AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA From Deutsche Telekom for $39 billion - Mar 21, 2011
- US moves to block AT&T;'s acquisition of T-Mobile - Sep 01, 2011
- Carlos Slim's firm to acquire US company - May 11, 2012
- AT&T & T-Mobile merger hits a rocky patch - Nov 25, 2011
- Verizon iPhone: How Will It Affect The Users? - Jan 12, 2011
- Verizon, AT&T; crucial to BlackBerry tablet sales - Apr 22, 2011
- FCC seeks data about early termination fees - Jan 27, 2010
- Google's Android outsells iPhone, threatens BlackBerry - May 11, 2010
- Pitroda creation creates waves in mobile commerce market - Aug 06, 2011
- Latin American firm gains control of Dutch telecom - Jun 29, 2012
- Verizon Wireless to introduce tiered data plan in next four to six months - Sep 24, 2010
- AT&T To Finish Unrestricted Data Plans For Smart Phones - Jun 03, 2010
- Apple Launches iPhone On Verizon, AT&T Retorts - Jan 12, 2011
- T-Mobile Sued By EZ Texting For Blocking Messages After Surfacing Of Pot-Related Messages - Sep 20, 2010
Tags: chief rival, consumer groups, department of justice, deutsche telekom, efe, federal communications commission, interim solution, justice department, merger, mobile internet revolution, mobile usa, new york dec, opposition, randall stephenson, realities, spectrum, t mobile, us government, verizon, wireless operator