Assocham honours Sharjah economic zoneJuly 9th, 2008 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) India’s leading industry lobby Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Assocham) Wednesday conferred its best performing special economic zone award to Sharjah’s Hamriyah Free Zone Authority (HFZA). Planning Commission member Anwarul Hoda gave away the award to Rashid Alleem, director general HFZA, and department of seaports and customs, of the overnment of Sharjah.
The award was given at the Assocham’s international conclave on “Special Economic Zones: What Will Drive Them”, organised here.
“It is a great moment that the people in India have recognised our performance at HFZA. I am happy to see that lots of efforts are on to establish several free economic zones in India as well,” Alleem told IANS after receiving the award.
Assocham’s secretary general D.S. Rawat said HFZA was one of the great SEZ success stories not only in the region but in the world as well.
“They have done a wonderful job. From planning to granting licenses, Sharjah’s HFZA has set a great example for those aspiring to run a SEZ in a sustainable and effective manner,” Rawat told IANS.
Around 3,000 companies from different countries have their units at the HFZA. Around 70 percent of them have commercial licenses, while rest of them have industrial and service licenses.
- Technopark signs MoU with Sharjah Free Zone - Jun 16, 2011
- 'SEZs driving forces of economic growth' - Jul 13, 2008
- Sharjah trade zone attracts over $2 bn investments - Jun 20, 2010
- Bengal should set up nuclear plants, SEZs: Assocham - Nov 07, 2011
- Assocham for tax sops to promote SEZs - Apr 22, 2012
- Rationalise tax structure for aviation sector: Assocham - Nov 12, 2011
- PPP needed to enhance education levels: Industry lobby - Jun 30, 2011
- Question mark over Mamata's democracy, investment promises (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 25, 2012
- Assocham wants stock broking firms to run banks - Nov 05, 2011
- Industry body seeks 100 percent FDI in defence - Mar 25, 2012
- Maharashtra axes four SEZs after local opposition - Jul 31, 2012
- India needs to invest in technology to raise exports - Sep 05, 2010
- Investors apprehensive of Bengal's policies: Assocham - Aug 22, 2012
- 'India-Iran trade can touch $30 bn by 2015' - Feb 15, 2012
- India Inc welcomes rate cut - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: assocham, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, commercial licenses, commission member, conclave, director general, free economic zones, free zone, great moment, honours, New Delhi, overnment, planning commission, rashid, rawat, seaports, secretary general, special economic zone, zone authority