Assam’s stranded train passengers evacuatedJune 29th, 2012 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 29 (IANS) The Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) Friday said that all passengers stranded at three locations on the Lumding-Badarpur hill section have been evacuated.
The NFR ran a special train from Lumding to Mupaand and back to Lumding Friday to ferry the passengers, NFR spokesman S. Hajong said in a statement to the media.
“Similarly, another passenger special train was run between Silchar and Harangajao and back to Silchar today,” said Hajong.
“The passengers who were stranded at Mibong have been taken to Lumding by a relief train and then from Lumding to Guwahati by Intercity Express on Thursday,” Hajong said.
“The passengers, who were stranded at Harangajao, had been taken to Badarpur by a relief train yesterday. Similarly, the stranded passengers of Lower Halflong station were transported to Lanka by road, and further to Guwahati from Lanka by a special train,” the statement said.
The NFR spokesman also said that the Dima Hasao district administration had arranged for the vehicles to transport the stranded passengers to Lanka by road.
Three trains - Up Cachar Express, Dn Cachar Express and Lumding-Agartala-Lumding Express - carrying about 2,300 passengers were stranded at three stations in the Lumding-Badarpur hill section since Tuesday due to heavy landslides, which are a common phenomenon in the hill section of the NFR.
The NFR spokesman said the restoration work is in full swing and would be finished in two weeks if good weather prevails. The trains were stranded after heavy rains caused mudslides and landslides at about 90 places and affected the tracks.
- Train passengers stranded by Assam floods being rescued - Jun 28, 2012
- Parts of northeast cut-off as train services suspended - Oct 10, 2011
- Landslides disrupt rail services to Northeast - Jun 04, 2012
- Train services yet to be restored in northeast - Jun 10, 2012
- Railway services in northeast partially restored - Jul 25, 2012
- 'Another month to restore train services to northeast' - Jul 02, 2012
- Passenger train derails in Assam, militant hand suspected (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- 10 bombs found on Assam railway bridge - Nov 09, 2011
- Blast rocks Assam ahead of Republic Day, train derailed - Jan 25, 2011
- Day 3: 2,500 train passengers still stranded in Assam - Jun 28, 2012
- Northeast road-rail links snapped, situation worsens - Jul 16, 2012
- Night train services resume in terror-hit section of northeast - Oct 21, 2009
- Northeast train services partially resume after two weeks - Jun 14, 2012
- Assam floods toll 18 dead, 2,500 train passengers still stranded (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Passenger train services in northeast still disrupted - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: agartala, assam, cachar, dima, district administration, dn, full swing, good weather, heavy rains, intercity express, june 29, landslides, mudslides, nfr, northeast frontier railway, phenomenon, restoration work, silchar, spokesman also said that, train passengers