Asia-Pacific countries aim to widen trade ties: Kamal NathNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:56 am ICT by admin
The meeting also marks the first time that the economic powerhouses of China, India and Republic of Korea have adopted common set of operational rules on certifying the origin of goods, making it easier for them to export goods to each other at preferential tariff rates even if items contain components from non-APTA countries.
This regional trading agreement will serve as a bridge towards the multilateral trading system.
The Asia-Pacific Trade Agreement (APTA), consisting of six Asian countries — India, Bangladesh, China, South Korea, Laos and Sri Lanka — is the only regional trade agreement, which links East, Southeast and South Asia.
Formed under the patronage of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN ESCAP), APTA was concluded in 1975 and was originally called the Bangkok Agreement.
India’s total trade with APTA member countries increased from 5.3 billion dollars in 2001 to 28.4 billion dollars in 2006. (ANI)
- Pakistan, Indonesia sign Preferential Trade Agreement - Feb 03, 2012
- India to negotiate free trade agreements with Indonesia, Thailand soon - Oct 28, 2010
- India's rise will reshape global system, says US - Nov 05, 2011
- Nepal okays Trans-Asia Railway Network pact - Dec 21, 2011
- Remove trade barriers: Bangladeshi chamber urges India - Sep 06, 2011
- 'India seeks secure Asia free of terror' - Jun 29, 2012
- South Asia Forum calls for regional economic union - Sep 08, 2011
- Pakistan committed to gas pipeline project with Iran: Zardari - Feb 08, 2012
- 'US-led war games detrimental to Asia-Pacific stability' - Aug 05, 2012
- FTA would complement Indian reforms: New Zealand minister - Jul 27, 2012
- Russia to increase energy exports to Asia-Pacific - Sep 04, 2012
- US senator wants bilateral investment treaty with India - May 15, 2012
- Patil urges captains of industry to enhance modest India-Laotian trade ties - Sep 13, 2010
- India, Pakistan focus on implementing trade deal - Nov 14, 2011
- South Korea, Turkey agree on free trade deal - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: aim, apta, asia pacific countries, billion dollars, china, economic powerhouses, export goods, India, kamal nath, multilateral trading system, operational rules, preferential tariff, regional trade, regional trading, republic of korea, south korea, tariff measures, tariff rates, trade agreement, trade ties