Ashok Leyland develops hythane engineMarch 24th, 2009 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 24 (IANS) The Hinduja group’s commercial vehicle manufacturer Ashok Leyland Ltd, in association with Australia’s Eden Energy, has developed a hythane-powered 92-KW engine, the company said Tuesday.
Hythane is a blend of natural gas and hydrogen (usually 20 percent hydrogen by volume).
Hydrogen, a renewable fuel, improves the efficiency of the engine, while retaining the low emission characteristics of compressed natural gas (CNG).
The company said it took two years to develop the six-cylinder, six-litre engine.
Ashok Leyland is also developing a four-cylinder, four-litre 63-KW engine for hythane-CNG blend through a joint research and development programme with the ministry of new and renewable energy and Indian Oil Corp, the company said.
The company is also in discussions with government agencies regarding making hythane available for commercial use in the future.
Ashok Leyland rolled out India’s first CNG bus in 1997 in Mumbai.
At present, over 5,500 Ashok Leyland CNG buses ply on the roads of Delhi, Ahmedabad, Vijayawada and Mumbai and also in certain overseas countries.
- Leyland-Deere to enter wheel-loader segment in 2013 - Nov 22, 2011
- Ashok Leyland Nissan to roll out LCVs in mid-2011 - Jun 01, 2010
- Ashok Leyland-Nissan joint venture to roll out light trucks by 2011 - Jun 02, 2010
- Ashok Leyland-Nissan unveil 1.25-tonne goods carrier - Mar 29, 2011
- Ashok Leyland launches 'Jan Bus' - Jan 05, 2012
- 1:1 bonus issue by Ashok Leyland - Jun 16, 2011
- Vinod Dasari to be in Ashok Leyland's driver seat - Jan 22, 2011
- Ashok Leyland, German partner to develop defence systems (Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- Ashok Leyland aims at global high - Apr 04, 2011
- Ashok Leyland, German partner to develop defence systems - Feb 22, 2011
- Ashok Leyland takes 26 percent stake in British Optare - Jul 29, 2010
- Ashok Leyland bags $6 mn Bangladesh order for buses - Jun 06, 2012
- Ashok Leyland prices Dost LCV at Rs.379,000 - Sep 13, 2011
- Ashok Leyland may get into car manufacturing with Nissan - Mar 04, 2010
- Ashok Leyland net in 2011-12 down by 10 percent - May 14, 2012
Tags: ahmedabad, ashok leyland ltd, cng buses, compressed natural gas, eden, efficiency, emission characteristics, government agencies, hinduja group, hydrogen, hythane, indian oil, litre engine, mumbai, overseas countries, renewable energy, renewable fuel, research and development, vehicle manufacturer, vijayawada