Arvind Jadhav takes over as Air India chiefMay 4th, 2009 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 4 (IANS) Arvind Jadhav Monday took over as the chairman and managing director of National Aviation Co (Nacil), which operates national carrier Air India.
A 1978 batch IAS officer of the Karnataka cadre, Jadhav was officially named for the post May 1. Prior to this, he was principal secretary of the Karnataka government’s infrastructure development department.
He played an active role in introducing the public-private partnership (PPP) model to develop the Bangalore International Airport Ltd, a greenfield airport project.
Jadhav took charge from E.K. Bharat Bhushan, who was heading the aviation company for an interim period after the government, unhappy with the performance of Air India, removed the chairman Raghu Menon from the post last week.
However, the government is yet to decide on Menon’s new role. Currently, he is on leave till late next month, said an Air India spokesperson.
The change at the helm has come in the backdrop of Air India’s falling market share even though it is going through a major fleet expansion programme to induct 111 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft over the next few years.
The company has sought Rs.2,500 crore from the government in the form of equity and soft loan to finance its fleet expansion programme.
According to Air India officials, Jadhav has been appointed for three years.
Before his stint in Karnataka, he was with the central government as a joint secretary in the power ministry. Jadhav has also served as central vigilance officer with Gas Authority of India, Air India said in a statement.
The new Air India chief holds post-graduate diplomas from the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade and the Italian Institute of Foreign Trade, Rome.
- Arvind Jadhav named new Air India chairman - May 01, 2009
- Bhushan takes charge as managing director of Air India - Apr 27, 2009
- Air India to sell four aged freighter aircraft - Nov 18, 2010
- Air India gets new interim chief (Lead) - Apr 25, 2009
- Air India gets new interim chief - Apr 25, 2009
- Air India gets new chief, turnaround strategy soon (Intro Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
- Aircraft purchase: High court refuses to pass order - Jun 01, 2012
- Air India set to join Star Alliance by July 31 - Jun 06, 2011
- Ailing Air India to get $250 mn equity from government (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- UAE plans Dubai International Airport expansion - Jul 07, 2011
- New chief, turnaround strategy for Air India soon (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
- Government mulls more funds to keep Air India flying - Sep 19, 2011
- Patna airport told to cut trees for safety - May 28, 2012
- Unsure whether to go ahead with Boeing purchase: Ravi - Sep 09, 2011
- 'Air India board unaware of new ground handling company' - Jul 11, 2011
Tags: air india, airbus aircraft, arvind, aviation company, bharat bhushan, fleet expansion, graduate diplomas, india air, indian institute of foreign trade, infrastructure development, international airport ltd, italian institute, jadhav, karnataka government, national aviation, national carrier, power ministry, principal secretary, public private partnership, soft loan