Arvind Jadhav named new Air India chairmanMay 1st, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) The government Friday appointed Arvind Jadhav, a 1978 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, as the chairman of the state-run National Aviation Co of India Ltd (NACIL).
He will take charge from E.K. Bharat Bhushan, who was heading the aviation company for an interim period after the government, unhappy with the performance of Air India, removed Raghu Menon from the post Monday.
Bhushan is a joint secretary and financial adviser in the civil aviation ministry.
The government is yet to decide on Menon’s new role. Currently, he is on long leave till late next month.
Jadhav has been appointed for a period of three years, the ministry of civil aviation said in a statement.
“His appointment will be from the date of his taking over charge and for a period of three years, or until further orders, whichever is earlier,” it said.
The change at the helm has come in the backdrop of falling market share of Air India even though it is going through a major fleet expansion programme to induct 111 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft over the next few years.
The company has already sought Rs.2,500 crore from the government in the form of equity and soft loan to finance the fleet expansion.
- Arvind Jadhav takes over as Air India chief - May 04, 2009
- Bhushan takes charge as managing director of Air India - Apr 27, 2009
- Aircraft purchase: High court refuses to pass order - Jun 01, 2012
- Unsure whether to go ahead with Boeing purchase: Ravi - Sep 09, 2011
- Air India gets new interim chief (Lead) - Apr 25, 2009
- Air India gets new interim chief - Apr 25, 2009
- Air India pilots threaten strike over late salaries - Feb 09, 2011
- Needless aircraft purchases, merger caused Air India mess: CAG (Roundup) - Sep 08, 2011
- Air India set to join Star Alliance by July 31 - Jun 06, 2011
- CAG raises eyebrows on aircraft purchases for Air India - Sep 08, 2011
- Air India to sell four aged freighter aircraft - Nov 18, 2010
- Ailing Air India to get $250 mn equity from government (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Air India gets new chief, turnaround strategy soon (Intro Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
- Air India confident of Boeing-787 induction by year-end - Jul 17, 2011
- Aviation ministry gets new face at helm - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: air india, airbus aircraft, arvind, aviation company, backdrop, bharat bhushan, civil aviation ministry, crore, financial adviser, fleet expansion, india ltd, indian administrative service, induct, interim period, jadhav, market share, menon, national aviation, New Delhi, soft loan