Areva joins Reliance to set up solar power plantApril 13th, 2012 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) Areva Solar, France-based Areva’s subsidiary, has bagged a contract by Reliance Power to build Asia’s largest concentrated solar power installation.
“Areva Solar, an Areva subsidiary, has been awarded a contract by the Indian group Reliance Power Limited to build a 250 megawatt (MW) concentrated solar power (CSP) installation in India, which will become the largest in all of Asia,” the company said in a statement.
“The project will help advance India’s goal of adding 20,000 MW of solar energy by 2022. It will result in the avoidance of approximately 5,57,000 tons of CO2 emissions per year compared to a similar sized coal fired power plant,” it added.
Under the contract, Areva will build two 125 MW CSP plants using its compact linear fresnel reflector technology, and will provide construction management services for the project.
The first phase of the project is under construction, with a target commercial operation date of May 2013. The solar power plants will be located in Rajasthan.
“We will leverage our best-in-class experience to help make India and Reliance global solar industry leaders. Following our success in the French wind offshore sector, this contract reinforces the AREVA strategy in renewable energies,” said Luc Oursel, chief executive officer, Areva.
This project further strengthens and diversifies Areva’s low-carbon energy hub in India.
- India's solar mission visionary: Australian report - Jun 26, 2011
- Reliance Power's second quarter operating revenue up 189 percent - Nov 08, 2011
- US loans for Indian firms making solar facilities in Rajasthan - Jul 19, 2012
- Reliance Power synchronises unit at Butibori thermal plant - Jun 26, 2012
- Lanco Solar bags Rs.884.18 crore solar power project - May 26, 2011
- India to have 2 GW solar power capacity by 2013 - Nov 09, 2011
- Nuclear fuel to be loaded in Kudankulam plant - Sep 05, 2012
- Chiness wind turbine firm ties up with Reliance - Jul 02, 2012
- Honduras signs deal with Chinese firm on hydro plant - Apr 19, 2011
- Russia, Belarus sign $10 bn nuke plant deal - Jul 18, 2012
- SCHOTT to supply 20 MW solar power modules to Indian firm - Feb 08, 2011
- CSE alleges wrongdoing in solar mission, firm denies charges - Feb 01, 2012
- Astonfield-Areva to develop 100 MW biomass assets in India - Jul 30, 2009
- IFC to take 15 percent stake in two SunEdison companies - May 10, 2012
- Reliance Power to buy equipment from First Solar - Sep 07, 2011
Tags: areva, chief executive officer, class experience, co2 emissions, coal fired power, coal fired power plant, concentrated solar power, construction management services, energy hub, fresnel, indian group, megawatt, offshore sector, reflector technology, reliance power, renewable energies, solar industry, solar power plant, solar power plants, target