ArcelorMittal to idle Romanian plantNovember 11th, 2008 - 11:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bucharest, Nov 11 (DPA) ArcelorMittal, the world’s largest steelmaker, will idle one of its four Romanian plants because of falling global demand, it was reported Tuesday.The plant at Hunedoara will halt production in a few days for about two months, its first idling since the depression of the 1930s, factory director Remus Patan told the Mediafax agency.
Luxembourg-based ArcelorMittal said Nov 5 it would cut production as the slowing global economy reduces steel demand.
No immediate layoffs are planned at Hunedoara, Patan said. Workers will be sent on paid leave and later receive 75 percent of their full pay, he said.
Last month, ArcelorMittal reduced output at Galati, its biggest Romanian plant.
Renault SA’s Dacia unit, another major Romanian employer, said Monday it would halt production of its budget-priced compact cars for three weeks starting November 20 because of the economic slump.
- ArcelorMittal steelworkers strike in Romania - Apr 14, 2008
- Lakshmi Mittal's US steel plant to lay off 400 workers - Apr 15, 2009
- ArcelorMittal to set up steel mill in Iraq - Mar 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal laying off nearly 1,000 at US plant - May 14, 2009
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- ArcelorMittal to pursue steel projects in Orissa, Jharkhand - Nov 27, 2009
- ArcelorMittal to halt production in Belgian plant: reports - Oct 31, 2008
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- ArcelorMittal to invest $5 bn in new steel mill in Brazil - Nov 06, 2009
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- ArcelorMittal slashes steel production on weak economy - Nov 05, 2008
- Steel giants Arcelor and POSCO gear up for new ventures in Karnataka - Jan 08, 2010
- Posco relents, to set up steel plant in Karnataka - Jun 04, 2010