ArcelorMittal to cut 9,000 jobs worldwideNovember 27th, 2008 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Luxembourg, Nov 27 (IANS) Steel-making giant ArcelorMittal might slash up to 9,000 jobs across the globe, approximately three percent of its total workforce, through voluntary redundancies, the company said in a statement Thursday. “ArcelorMittal is today meeting with its European Works Council to present voluntary separation programmes to be launched across the group. This is to help achieve the company’s stated aim of reducing SG&A (selling, general and administrative) expenditure by $1 billion in response to the current economic situation,” the L.N. Mittal-headed company said in the statement.
“The focus is primarily on non-production employees, in particular those in SG&A functions across the globe. These programmes may involve up to 9,000 employees, approximately three percent of the total global work force,” it said.
The company said the process will be undertakn in close collaboration with stakeholders and in accordance with the appropriate social considerations of the respective countries involved.
Said Bernard Fontana, executive vice-president and member of ArcelorMittal’s Management Committee with responsibility for human resources: “This has been a very difficult decision for the company to take as all of our employees are extremely important to us.”
“Sadly, however, the global economic reality means that it is only sensible to adopt such measures.”
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- ArcelorMittal to cut 1,000 jobs even in low-cost Poland - Dec 04, 2008
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- ArcelorMittal again extends bid for Canadian ore company - Jan 11, 2011
- EU approves acquisition of Dutch company by ArcelorMittal - Jul 08, 2009
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- ArcelorMittal to invest $5 bn in new steel mill in Brazil - Nov 06, 2009
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal changes India strategy, focus on smaller units - Sep 16, 2010
- Belgian trade union files complaint against ArcelorMittal - Feb 21, 2012
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- ArcelorMittal to shut down two US steel plants - Dec 11, 2008
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- ArcelorMittal scotches rights issue rumours - Mar 17, 2009
Tags: arcelormittal, bernard fontana, current economic situation, difficult decision, economic reality, global work force, management committee, social considerations, voluntary redundancies, voluntary separation