ArcelorMittal scotches rights issue rumoursMarch 17th, 2009 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Luxembourg, March 17 (IANS) ArcelorMittal, the world’s largest steelmaker, Tuesday denied a newspaper report that it was considering a five billion Euro ($6.5 billion) share sale.
“The rumours mentioned within this article are not true,” the company owned by Indian-born billionaire Lakshmi Niwas Mittal said about the Financial Times report.
The newspaper cited market speculation to report ArcelorMittal had hired J.P. Morgan and Deutsche Bank to coordinate a rights issue enabling existing holders to buy one share for every two they own for a discounted eight euros.
The Luxembourg-based ArcelorMittal said in a statement the company has a “successful debt reduction programme in place and does not need to raise additional capital through a rights issue at this time.”
“The company has not retained any specific advisors for this purpose and the rumours within this article are without foundation and speculative.
“However, the company will continue to review and consider all options as is only prudent given the current challenging operating environment,” it added.
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- ArcelorMittal forced to up bid for Canadian iron-ore giant - Dec 20, 2010
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- Steel giants Arcelor and POSCO gear up for new ventures in Karnataka - Jan 08, 2010
- Belgian trade union files complaint against ArcelorMittal - Feb 21, 2012
- Not easy to work in India: L.N. Mittal - Apr 29, 2009
- Arcelor-Mittal signs $6 bn credit facility agreement - Mar 22, 2011
- ArcelorMittal slashes steel production on weak economy - Nov 05, 2008
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011
- ArcelorMittal to invest $5 bn in new steel mill in Brazil - Nov 06, 2009
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: arcelormittal, billionaire, debt reduction, deutsche bank, financial times, five billion, j p morgan, luxembourg, march 17, market speculation, mittal, newspaper report, operating environment, scotches, steelmaker