ArcelorMittal profits to rise despite financial crisis: MittalOctober 9th, 2008 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 9 (IANS) Lakshmi Niwas Mittal, chairman and CEO of ArcelorMittal, said Thursday he expects the world’s largest steelmaker to increase profits this year despite the global economic downturn.”Despite the current financial crisis, the Chinese economic slowdown and the strong destocking taking place on steel markets, we are pleased to expect profitability improvement in the second half of this year,” Mittal said.
In a statement issued to shareholders ahead of a meeting with investors Thursday ArcelorMittal reaffirmed third quarter EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) guidance in excess of $8.5 billion.
The company, which produces 10 percent of the world’s steel, also announced that it expects EBITDA as well as cash flow from operations to be higher in the second half of 2008 compared to the record first half of 2008.
Shares in the Luxembourg-based steel giant soared 10 percent Thursday after it confirmed the H2 guidance.
- ArcelorMittal sees strong rebound in second quarter - Apr 29, 2010
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- ArcelorMittal quarter three profits up, but cuts production - Nov 05, 2008
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- Lakshmi Mittal's US steel plant to lay off 400 workers - Apr 15, 2009
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- Steel giants Arcelor and POSCO gear up for new ventures in Karnataka - Jan 08, 2010
- Not easy to work in India: L.N. Mittal - Apr 29, 2009
- ArcelorMittal scotches rights issue rumours - Mar 17, 2009
- ArcelorMittal to set up steel mill in Iraq - Mar 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal to invest $5 bn in new steel mill in Brazil - Nov 06, 2009
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011