Arcelor Mittal steel project faces land acquisition row in JharkhandOctober 18th, 2008 - 2:28 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 18 (IANS) After the land acquisition row faced by Tata Motors for its Nano project in West Bengal, it is time for the global steel major Arcelor Mittal in Jharkhand to face the heat for the same reason, as it plans its greenfield steel project. Arcelor Mittal had selected an area in Khuti district of Jharkhand for their plant. The project needs around 11,000 acres of land, of which 8,800 acres is required to set up a 12-million-tonne steel plant and 2,400 acres for establishing a township. The steel major was also allocated iron ore mines and coal blocks.
An organisation opposing the land acquisition, called Adivasi Malvasi Astitva Raksha Manch (AMARM), launched a campaign against Arcelor Mittal’s steel project early this week. Representatives of Arcelor Mittal held parleys with some villagers Oct 15, but the agitation only gained momentum after that.
Around 15,000 pamphlets were distributed among the villagers at the start.
“Farmers need food grains not steel. We are strengthening the voice of villagers,” said Dayamani Barla, a member of AMARM.
She said: “Pamphlets are being distributed to make people aware of the move of the state government. The state government should immediately stop land acquisition.”
The pamphlets say land acquisition is wrong as tribal land cannot be transferred to non-tribals. Also, agricultural land cannot be acquired for industrialisation, it claims. It also cites examples of land acquisition in which tribes were deprived of their rights.
The Mittal steel project site is in Torpa block of Khuti district. This is the same block where the 700-MW Koel Karo hydel project was mooted some 35 years ago. The project could not see the light of day due to opposition by the villagers, who were supported by some NGOs.
- Jharkhand villagers protest transfer of land to ArcelorMittal - May 30, 2009
- Mittal pullout: Jharkhand says it has no information - Oct 05, 2009
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- Villagers oppose proposed Arcelor Mittal plant in Jharkhand - Jun 07, 2009
- Jharkhand concerned about Arcelor Mittal steel project - Jan 09, 2010
- ArcelorMittal explores other Jharkhand sites for steel plant - Feb 22, 2010
- ArcelorMittal to get government land for steel project - Feb 13, 2009
- Under people's protest Jharkhand closes Koel-Karo project - Jul 21, 2010
- No information on Mittal pullout, say Orissa, Jharkhand (Lead) - Oct 05, 2009
- ArcelorMittal may shift plant to another site in Jharkhand - Mar 18, 2010
- ArcelorMittal changes India strategy, focus on smaller units - Sep 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal to pursue steel projects in Orissa, Jharkhand - Nov 27, 2009
- Who speaks for the Adivasi's right to the forests? - Apr 17, 2011
- Jharkhand recommends water allocation to 22 steel firms - Jun 17, 2008
- Niyamgiri tribals join anti-Posco protests - Jul 07, 2011